g.peart
Level 1
Level 1

If I want to download CUCM and install in a windows virtual

environment, which version do I download from software centre

TIA

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I think he's just talking about running CM in a VM in VMware Workstation on Windows. He probably just want to practice/demo it. It's not like he can put it in production without licenses.

Regarding turning non-bootable DVDs into bootable, I've done around 30 CM/CUC 7/8 installs using this method. There are plenty situations where you just don't have the DVD with the right version, and this method is just fine. Cisco TAC never tried to check for this with me, and I doubt there's a way or if they even care.

UCCX ISO is an exception, they don't include CAD/CSD upgrades on the non-bootable ISOs, so you want to make sure you have the real DVD for the new install.

View solution in original post

You cannot apply for license key, you need to buy licenses ahead of time and then register them for license key.

Either way if this is just for playing and you have access to the CUCM download files, download latest 8.6 version and use Roman's or others' method to make the media bootable and you will get demo license with it that will allow you to install about 40 or so devices with no expiration date.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

all CM ISOs on CCO are non-bootable. Download any of them and do this:

http://htluo.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-make-non-bootable-iso-image.html then you can install.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all CUCM last version on Windows was version 4.3, we are on version 8.6 now, so unless you want to practice on really old release I suggest you move on to Appliance (Linux) CUCM.

Now to the important question/answer, you cannot legally download any CUCM without owning support for it as all posted versions on Cisco's website are only upgrade versions and non-bootable images.  There are some threads here on the forum on how to turn the non-bootable image into bootable and install  it, but that would never be supported in production deployment, in fact TAC has a tool to verify if this was the case. 

The proper way to get CUCM is to purchase it or purchase NFR kit if you are Cisco partner.

HTH,

Chris

I think he's just talking about running CM in a VM in VMware Workstation on Windows. He probably just want to practice/demo it. It's not like he can put it in production without licenses.

Regarding turning non-bootable DVDs into bootable, I've done around 30 CM/CUC 7/8 installs using this method. There are plenty situations where you just don't have the DVD with the right version, and this method is just fine. Cisco TAC never tried to check for this with me, and I doubt there's a way or if they even care.

UCCX ISO is an exception, they don't include CAD/CSD upgrades on the non-bootable ISOs, so you want to make sure you have the real DVD for the new install.

Roman,

Trust me when I tell you that this method is not fine, in fact I know of couple of situations (not mine) where TAC was able to prove that installation media was hacked and that resulted in issues down the line (few weeks later).  For lab this is absolutely OK, for production environments, absolute NO NO.

Chris

That's exactly what I intend to do, at the moment I got SipX, Asterix and Lync all running on test

and now I just want to try out CUCM, once I know what version to download I was going to apply for

a license key

You cannot apply for license key, you need to buy licenses ahead of time and then register them for license key.

Either way if this is just for playing and you have access to the CUCM download files, download latest 8.6 version and use Roman's or others' method to make the media bootable and you will get demo license with it that will allow you to install about 40 or so devices with no expiration date.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Thanks Chris and to you to Roman

by the way is it the InterCompany Media.iso

or the recovery.iso I need to download

You need to download it from

section

Chris

Got it,

thanks again.

And don't try 8.6.2 :-)

For some reason that one winds up with no applications/services installed after a fiddled boot.

8.6.1 was OK.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: