cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on CUPS and Phone Presence

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have what I hope is a simple question. I have CUCM 8.5(1) and CUPS 8.6(3) deployed. My question is about phone presence status in the CUPS Presence Viewer application.

In my configuration I can see the presence status of an individual phone line when that line is on a call but when that phone is not on a call the Presence Status displays as "Unavailable". Further, when looking at the user's devices in CUPS Presence Viewer I can see the associated lines but they are displayed as "unknown".

Shouldn't I be able to see an available status when the phone line is idle?

I have checked and configured the following:

1. Presence groups and inter-presence group subscriptions are allowed

2. CUPS SIP Trunk is provisioned with appropriate SIP profile mods

3. CUCM Call Manager service has associated CUPS trunk

4. Users are associated to the line(s) under test

5. Presence CSS's are defined in a manner that should allow presence viewing

Any thoughts?

Regards,Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Bill

AFAIK it's always worked like that - unless a user explicitly logs in to a presence client, he's not 'available'. i.e. the presence of a line on the system isn't enough to make him 'available'.

So he has to log in to CUPC or Phone Messenger (urgh) to be 'available'.

Being based on EM status, CFA status, or inactivity timers on the user's lines would seem like a good idea but I don't think the functionality is there. Of course, it might be - the documentation for this product has always left a fair amount to the imagination.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Bill

AFAIK it's always worked like that - unless a user explicitly logs in to a presence client, he's not 'available'. i.e. the presence of a line on the system isn't enough to make him 'available'.

So he has to log in to CUPC or Phone Messenger (urgh) to be 'available'.

Being based on EM status, CFA status, or inactivity timers on the user's lines would seem like a good idea but I don't think the functionality is there. Of course, it might be - the documentation for this product has always left a fair amount to the imagination.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have built out CUPS a few times but I just couldn't recall if what I was seeing was expected or not. As you said, the documentation is a little on the light side there. I see the same behavior on my lab build as I do in production.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply (+5).

-Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Bill / Aaron

Yup; this is how it all works. It's a gap in the functionallity of the prodct to be certain. We've actually written some AXL scripts that query the CUCM database and update a user's presence status based around what is returned. This includes things like log in / out through EM, a user setting "CFA Voicemail" etc. Means that a user doesn't need to be logged onto CUPC for their line status to be visible.

It's clunky, and IMHO this stuff should be in the product natively.

HTH. Barry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: