cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a GBIC to sfc patch cable?

compumend
Level 1
Level 1

I believe the currently installed fiber is GBIC, but the switch converter is mini-GBIC.  Is there a way to get these to work together? 

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

chris-hart
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not really sure what you mean, GBIC is a type of interface convertor  and usually has SC Fibre connectors, the mini-GBIC you are referring to may be an SFP which is a smaller type of interface convertor and usually has LC Fibre connectors.

GBICs and SFPs will work together as long as they are the same type ie Single Mode or Multi Mode and you also need to make sure the TX and RX Optical Power levels are within the specified limits at both ends of the link.

On some switches the command "show inventory" may show the type of interface convertor installed.

SITE-A-CAT#show inventory
NAME: "SITE-A-CAT", DESCR: "Cisco Catalyst c2950 switch with 24 10/100 BaseTX ports and 2 GBIC (Gigabit Interface Converter) slots"
PID: WS-C2950G-24-EI   , VID: L0 , SN: FCZ1041Y0KJ

NAME: "GigabitEthernet0/1", DESCR: "longwave fiber gigabit ethernet port adapter"
PID: GBIC_LX           , VID: 30 30 30 30, SN: AGS094801V1

Or try the command "show interfaces gi/x/x/x capabilities" (where gix/x/x) is the interface number.

PE-CAT-A#show interfaces gi1/1/1 capabilities

GigabitEthernet1/1/1

Model:                 ME-C3750-24TE

Type:                  1000BaseLX SFP

Speed:                 1000

Duplex:                full

Trunk encap. type:     802.1Q

Trunk mode:            on,off,desirable,nonegotiate

Channel:               yes

Broadcast suppression: percentage(0-100)

Flowcontrol:           rx-(off,on,desired),tx-(none)

Fast Start:            yes

QoS scheduling:        rx-(not configurable on per port basis),tx-(4q2t)

CoS rewrite:           yes

ToS rewrite:           yes

UDLD:                  yes

Inline power:          no

SPAN:                  source/destination

PortSecure:            yes

Dot1x:                 yes

Hope this helps 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure.  All you need to do is find a cabled commonly called as an "SC to LC".  This cable comes in multiple flavours:  single-mode (SM), multi-mode (MM), straight cut, angle cut, strawberry, apple, etc.

NOTE:  I'm just kidding about the strawberry and apple bit. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: