cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different ring tone for incoming external v's internal call

focusonit
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently setup a UC540 with SPA508 handsets and am looking for a way to alter the ring tone to differentiate between external calls and internal calls - is this possible?

6 Replies 6

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tim,

LOL you have no idea how many times I have canvassed this issue, the most seemingly simplest of tasks but yet one of the difficult ones to achieve.

To date the only way I have been able to achieve this and keep the clients happy is the following method.

Two Button Method:

• Each user has two buttons reserved ( you will loose these buttons for any other functions )
  • Button 1 Reserved for internal calls with example extension 110
  • Button 2 Reserved for external calls with example extension 210
  • Button 2 is assigned to a Blast group or a DID
  • Button 2 has both CFNA & CFB pointing to Button 1's associated VM by using the transfer to VM patter E.G 6110 (6...)
  • Each user "Watches" button 1 of the other users extension which acts as a speed-dial as well

The UC also uses the Cadence method to distinguish between an internal call and an external call, I.E long bursts for internal and short bursts for external, however good luck trying to train staff up on this, it is a near impossible feat (Not impossible though), and further to that it only works on the default chirp tone not on any other.

I hope the above info helps you out, it took many lab work-ups to get it to work, and some functions may not work right using this method either.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

It's crazily frustrating how Cisco seem to over looked the most basic way human use phones when designing the UC. It's more like a bunch of computer heads got VoIP working an started adding things like URLs to hot keys before they even tried to make a phone call!

Not being able to identify a new external call from a call coming back from an unanswered hunt group seems like a bit of an oversight! (unless you make up extra labeled buttons -which we've run out of because called number doesn't work)

Sent from my iPhone

Arturo Bianchi
Level 1
Level 1

Tim Austin-Mills ha scritto:

looking for a way to alter the ring tone to differentiate between external calls and internal calls

Hi Tim,

I think with CCA v3.2 was made some progress in the management of the rings...

Now you can perform a variety of settings within the user profile (Configure>Telephony>Users and Settings>Users and Phones). In fact if you enable 'Extension Mobility' seems that you can not make these settings, but this is possible for normal extensions: simply play with the tab 'Rings' by selecting a button in the 'Button assignments'...

With the setting shown at right, the UC500 rings like a legacy PBX .

In fact, you can read on the document that announces the CCA 3.2:

Call Ring features:
  • No call-waiting beep: Disables call waiting beep sound
  • Call-waiting ring: Allows to select a ringing sound for call waiting
  • Distinctive Ring: Distinctive ring is used to identify internal and external incoming calls. An internal call is defined as a call originating from any Cisco Unified IP phone that is registered in Cisco Unified CME or is routed through the local FXS port.
  • Missed calls: To report missed calls to directory numbers on an IP phone.
  • HuntStop Channel
  • Silent Ring: Audible ring and call-waiting beep are suppressed for incoming calls. The only visible cue is a flashing icon in the phone display.
  • Feature Ring: Differentiates incoming calls on a special line from incoming calls on other lines on the phone. The feature-ring cadence is a triple pulse, as opposed to a single pulse for normal internal calls and a double pulse for normal external calls.
  • Beep with no ring: The line ringer is suppressed on incoming call, but the handset light still flashes. Call waiting beeps are allowed during active calls.

Arturo.

Hi,

I tried to configure uc540 utilizzalndo the example of Bianchi. This will change the ringer but remains the same for internal and external calls.

I also tried the following options:

Ring Type: Feature ring

Distinctive Ring: External

I missed some configuration?

Once you remove all customs ringtones, you will have the different rings for internal and external (two short rings). It is kind of suble difference, but if you listen to it carefully, then you will be able to distinguish. Otherwise you will have to play with secondary numbers, etc.

I have the following configuration, but the rings are the same for both internal and external calls. Maybe it's a problem the firmware release?

Tanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: