Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP soft client on Iphone/Ipad for CUCM

richb1971
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Is it possible to have a 3rd party softphone client (eg. Bria ) running on an iPhone/iPad for CUCM that uses WIFI and 3G? I'm fairly certain it is but unsure what I'd need to test it in my lab? I have CUCM 8.6 and can test the WiFi but what will I need to test the 3G? I'm reluctant to buy it until I understand the requirements. Are there any free SIP mobile clients that can do video and work with CUCM too?

Cheers,

Rich

6 Replies 6

Thanks for reply Henry.

How would the 3G mobile client register with my CUCM when out of WiFi?

Via VPN.

Chris

How does that work over 3G ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It uses 3G network for communication with call manager via VPN tunnel established between the device and corporate internal network, the same way you would use PC based soft phone for

Home, hotel, etx.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Chris is spot on (+5 C.) and Henry, thanks for the ref. link (+5).

This weekend I loaded Bria on iPod touch for testing. I am still working on some issues with video (interop w/ 9951) but more or less it works like any other 3rd party SIP client I have tested. There are a few writeups and references here:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/tags/3rd-Party-SIP/

Interop over 3G would typically rely on a VPN connection as Chris notes. Unless, of course, you had some externally facing CUCM with a public IP. Not really something I would recommend and definitely not something I have tested.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: