cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading from 7.0.98.0 to 7.0.220.0

jason crockett
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to upgrade our 5508 wireless controller from 7.0.98.0 to 7.0.220.0. Reason being, we have experienced a lot of access points disassociating from the controller as well as client authentication issues. Has anyone upgraded from 7.0.98.0 to 7.0.220.0 and experienced any issues during the upgrade or after the upgrade?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3540673#3540673

This is the original thread discussing the predownload issue.  The code upgrade goes very smoothly... it's when you get to the AP's that the problems start.  If you do not have any maintenance window restrictions, then you have no problems ahead. 

Please read the above thread, it will shed a lot of light on the subject.

Rule of thumb:  If you predownload the image to the AP's and "swap" the images, if the new image doesn't show as primary, you have a problem.  When you reload the wlc's and the AP's, the AP's will rejoin and "think" they have earlier code.  they will redownload, notice I say redownload the new code... even though it already exists in flash.  Then they will reboot again.  If you/your company has no problem with this method, you'll be fine.

Thanks,

Tony

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason,

You should be fine. I have done that upgrade with no issues. You can also download the primary code to the access points, but I know there has been issues with that. I know there was a post recently regarding downloading the code to the AP's does not work. I don't have that link, but it's on the forum somewhere.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3540673#3540673

This is the original thread discussing the predownload issue.  The code upgrade goes very smoothly... it's when you get to the AP's that the problems start.  If you do not have any maintenance window restrictions, then you have no problems ahead. 

Please read the above thread, it will shed a lot of light on the subject.

Rule of thumb:  If you predownload the image to the AP's and "swap" the images, if the new image doesn't show as primary, you have a problem.  When you reload the wlc's and the AP's, the AP's will rejoin and "think" they have earlier code.  they will redownload, notice I say redownload the new code... even though it already exists in flash.  Then they will reboot again.  If you/your company has no problem with this method, you'll be fine.

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Jason,

I upgraded eight 4404 WLC's just over two weeks ago from v7.0.98.0 to v7.0.220.0 to fix a 'DHCP_REQD' issue that we were seeing often with our guest users. The upgrade went very smoothly. Just a small footnote: If you have a WCS then you will need to upgrade this first before upgrading the WLC's.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: