cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connect multiple CallManager systems (dial peers)

lukeprimm
Level 1
Level 1

We have a CUCM 7.1.3 cluster at the head end and a handful of CMEs at branch offices connected via MPLS.  I dont have the time or resources at the moment to convert each over to SRST.  Our users are really wanting to start using 4 digit dialing between offices and I was wondering if just updating the dial peers on each CME to connect to each other over the MPLS links is advisable? 

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Absolutely, as long as you do not have overlaps in your dial plan you can do this.  Just make sure you do not accidentally create loops with wild card matching.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Absolutely, as long as you do not have overlaps in your dial plan you can do this.  Just make sure you do not accidentally create loops with wild card matching.

HTH,

Chris

great thanks, how many sites would you say before your would implement a Gatekeeper to keep track of everything?  In the book im reading, Cisco says 10+ sites.  Thoughts?  thanks

Well, it's up to you as GK is an expensive license.  If the idea is to at some point to convert these to SRST sites, rather than using GK I would look into utilizing CUCM for centrelizing  my dial plan, cheaper and a lot less complex.

HTH,

Chris

ahha didnt know you could use the the CUCM to accomplish the gatekeeper tasks, makes sense though. Ill have to dig up some docs on it. thanks for the info.

It's not really GK tasks, but here is what you can accomplish with it:

• consolidate dial plan, so all remote locations would have dial peer i.e. [2-9]... pointing to CUCM, CUCM would have matching route patterns pointing to respective CMEs, you just need to be careful not to create infinite loops
  • You can take advantage of Locations Based CAC where you can define Location bandwidth to/from each CME site.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Do you know of any reference sheets or whitepapers that discuss this more in depth?  THanks

Have you see the CME SRND? Here is a section discussion CME to CUCM intgegration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/srnd/design/guide/intcmecm.html

Chris

not sure, im getting a 403 when I hit that link.

Sorry, you need to remove partner from the link, try this one:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/srnd/design/guide/intcmecm.html

So the more I think about it, Im thinking that converting the current CME over to SRST might be the best solution since Im going to get a two day window of downtime in this office in a few weeks.

I've done some reading and it doesn't appear to be that difficult to convert over to SRST. We already have the MPLS pipe between offices, we just need to add it into the CUCM and convert the current CME to SRST mode.

Any recommendations?

Yes, this is very straight forward. There are few things you need do do in CUCM:

• Define SRST references and asign it to Device Pools
  • Build out these sites as any other sites, i.e build CSS/Paritions/Route Patterns/GWs/etc/etc

On the GWs you have couple of options you can convert telephony-service to call-manager-fallback, or you can leave telephony-fallback and use CME as SRST feature which will give you more features under SRST condition, you can look this up in the CME admin guide.

My recommandation would be to do a pilot for one remote location to ensure you get the process down.

HTH,

Chris

Im going to try and set up a pilot in my lab, though I dont have a PRI to test, ill most likely just use a sinlge pots line for PSTN calls.

I was thinking I would use CME as SRST so we get the added functionality it offers.  If this is the case, I can use the majority of the config that already on the router correct?  i.e. DN's ephone's, etc?

Thanks

Correct, as long as the extensions are not changing from what they will be in CUCM.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: