Urgent:How to deal with Cisco specific "dat" files?

Unanswered Question
Jan 30th, 2012
User Badges:

Hi,

I am student at Clemson University and I am using Cisco Cameras for my research.I need to somehow convert the recorded dat files to good quality but small size general media file(like avi or mpg).I can not use the playback system for this as size is very large for converted avi files for desired quality.I have tried many online available softwares to convert these dat file but sometimes it does not work and sometime it does.My whole research depends on the success of this conversion of dat files else I can not proceeed further.

So please if anybody can guide me how should I proceed with this it will be a great help as I have searched and spent a lot time on this without success.I somehow need to convert those cisco dat files to playable media files with small size.Please comment as even a small comment can help me.

Thanks and regards,

Sanjay.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Eric Moyers Mon, 01/30/2012 - 12:40
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center in Greenville SC. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Which camera are you using and are you using the video monitoring software as well. I may have a solution for you, but just need a little more info.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

sanjaypatil1986 Mon, 01/30/2012 - 12:56
User Badges:

Hi Eric,

I am using 4 Cisco PVC300 cameras and yes I am using Monitoring software that comes with camera.

Regards,

Sanjay.

mpyhala Mon, 01/30/2012 - 13:02
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Sanjay,

Have you tried converting the files to .asf format using the Playback system?

sanjaypatil1986 Mon, 01/30/2012 - 13:04
User Badges:

Yes,I tried with .asf but still size is too large as compared to standard media files.So I could not use this format even.

Regards,

Sanjay.

mpyhala Mon, 01/30/2012 - 13:08
User Badges:

Sanjay,

You will need to use a third party video editing software to convert the files then. The Playback system can only create .avi or .asf format. Once they are converted you can edit them and export them to another format if you wish.

sanjaypatil1986 Mon, 01/30/2012 - 13:12
User Badges:

Yes I have tried many third party tools but most of them can not even read the dat files recorded by ciso camera that is the big problem for me as of now.Do you have any idea of such usable third party tool which i can use and read the dat files?

Thanks,

Sanjay.

mpyhala Mon, 01/30/2012 - 13:59
User Badges:

Sanjay,

I am not aware of any software that can read .dat files. They are designed to be read only by the AVMS software Playback system for security purposes.

cobolcoder Wed, 02/01/2012 - 21:16
User Badges:

Sanjay,

You will probably need to use a two step process.  First convert the files to AVI or ASF format using the playback system and save the results.

Next convert the AVI files into a format that works for you (wmv, mov, flv, mpeg) 

A few possible programs to use are:  Roxio Video Wave, and AVS Video Editor.  Both are available for a resonable price on the web.  You may also be able to do it with Real Player software.

Randy

asarutanond Sat, 05/12/2012 - 09:55
User Badges:

Sorry I just read your post but I'd like to chime in so you'd know our intention. As the name implied this is a "Video Surveillance" software which is intended to monitor (for most part) any activities that may be used in the court of law. As such the recording is built on a platform that can only be viewed with its own playback player and as such it is implemented in such a way that the video will not be editable (or at least difficult to). This way no part of the video may be altered intensionally or unintensionally. This was the reason we moved away from our other application software.

Hope this answers your question.

Alan.

Actions

This Discussion