Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper SFP module for use

j.england
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 15' optical handoff run from our ISP Flashwave to a 3845.  We need an SFP capable of handling 1310nm single-mode transmission, but the GLC-EX-SMD has far more power than we'd need.  I'm thinking a lower-powered SFP that still meets the transmission criteria would be less expensive and wouldn't require a 5dB attenuator. 

I can't find another suitable option, can anyone suggest something different?  And if not, perhaps a link to optical attenuators that would work well with the GLC-EX-SMD?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You're welcome and thanks for the rating.

Actually Cisco refers to it both ways (1300 and 1310). Please see Table 4 in this document (and contrast with Table 1).

The GLC-LH-SM/D is very commonly used in just this application - metro Ethernet and service provider type of handoffs.

You may also want to take a look a the excellent document on this forum that Tom has put together. I keep it bookmarked.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It would be best to match the reach type (1000Base-??) of the optical interface of the connecting Flashwave interface card. I would check with the ISP to see if they can install a data card that accepts a short haul (SX) transceiver. 

A shorter reach 1310nm SFP compatible with the 3845 would be the 1000BASE-LX/LH, part number options include GLC-LH-SM & GLC-LH-SMD.

Adding to Tom's recommendations, I always prefer to use the SMD models when dealing with 3rd party handoffs since they allow me to check the send and receive optical power levels remotely. They cost a bit more but if they save a couple trips to the data center, they more than pay for the delta.

j.england
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Tom and Marvin.  I've actually looked into the GLC-LH-SM/D, but the specs state that they're 1300nm SFPs... my lack of optical experience puts me at a disadvantage in that I don't know if this will work with the ISP's 1310nm handoff. 

You're welcome and thanks for the rating.

Actually Cisco refers to it both ways (1300 and 1310). Please see Table 4 in this document (and contrast with Table 1).

The GLC-LH-SM/D is very commonly used in just this application - metro Ethernet and service provider type of handoffs.

You may also want to take a look a the excellent document on this forum that Tom has put together. I keep it bookmarked.

Wow that is excellent!  Thank you so much. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: