Bug Notification Emails

Answered Question
Feb 2nd, 2012

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could explain the use case for 'Bug Notification Emails'.  I have signed up for bug notices on all the TelePresence products and I get quite a few emails.  However, pretty much every bug I click on to view more details I get the following error:

'Bug CSCtr80189 belongs to an excluded project'

For instance, the bug number above has to do with IE & the VCS webpage.  However, even after opening a ticket with Cisco, I still cannot get any specifics on the bug except for that it exists.  Plus, why would this be 'excluded' from the public; seems like a really basic bug to hide.

From looking at previous discussions on this forum, it seems like bug details are on a 'need to know' basis.  Which is fine, but why offer the system in the first place then?

I work on a TelePresence helpdesk for a distributor and being able to quickly discover a bug exists without having to call Cisco everytime would be helpful.

I have also escalated several tickets only to find out a few days later that it is currently a known bug.  If I had access to 90% of the bugs I could save several days time for myself, Cisco and our customers.

Is there some kind of email address or system where I can submit a bug number and get the details back within a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks,

Justin

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by asolleti about 2 years 2 months ago

Hi Justin

Here is an update on the latest:

1. Bugs will continue to exist in both old Bug Toolkit & new Bug Search Tool. The backend data is sync'd on daily basis for both the systems.
  2. Identified issue has been fixed now in the upstream systems. So CSCtr80189 and other bugs on similar products should be visible in new Bug Search Tool also now.

Thanks for your patience, while we were working towards resolution.

Thanks

Arun

Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Scott Olsen Fri, 02/03/2012 - 07:46

Believe me, I have the same gripes.  Sometimes it isn't until pressed that TAC even acknowledges a bug exists, which to me, is simply unacceptable.  I'm tired of how many hours I have to burn to get to the bottom of things.

Best of luck to you.

asolleti Fri, 02/03/2012 - 12:53

Hi

Justin & Scott

I would like to appologize for any inconvenience this might have caused. Some of the bug mapping information in the upstream data sources were modified recently, which has resulted into this condition.

Currently the issue has been identified and we are working on the resolution, we are hoping that this should be resolved by Monday Feb 6th, 2012.

Until then one work around is the view the bug details in the old Bug Toolkit system.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=

Example

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtr80189

Thanks for your patience & i will provide an update on Monday on the progress.

Thanks

Arun

justinferello Fri, 02/03/2012 - 12:57

Arun,

Thank you for the quick reply.  For some reason I was under the impression that new bugs were not being loaded into the old Bug Tool Kit, is this not the case?  Therefore I have not been checking the old tool.

Anyway, thank you for pointing that out.  Look forward to working with the new bug system next week.

Thanks again.

Justin

Correct Answer
asolleti Mon, 02/06/2012 - 09:13

Hi Justin

Here is an update on the latest:

1. Bugs will continue to exist in both old Bug Toolkit & new Bug Search Tool. The backend data is sync'd on daily basis for both the systems.
  2. Identified issue has been fixed now in the upstream systems. So CSCtr80189 and other bugs on similar products should be visible in new Bug Search Tool also now.

Thanks for your patience, while we were working towards resolution.

Thanks

Arun

justinferello Mon, 02/06/2012 - 09:18

Arun,

Thank you for the update and following up with us, means a lot!

Thanks,
Justin

Phillip Remaker Mon, 02/06/2012 - 09:55

Scott Olsen wrote:

Sometimes it isn't until pressed that TAC even acknowledges a bug exists, which to me, is simply unacceptable.

Hello Scott!

I defininetely agree with this sentiment.  Cisco has always been very open about publishing known bugs; any failure to idenfify a bug is a matter of oversight, not policy.  TAC internal processes tend to reward both the reporting bugs and linking cases to existing bugs, so an engineer gains nothing by withholding information.

Unfortunately, bugs can manifest themselves in a variety of non-obvious ways, or the bugs may be documented in a way that doesn't readily appear in an internal search.  Towrds that end, we always encourage customers that find a release note lacking to provide feedback in the communities so we can update information accordingly.

TAC serves a critical role in completing the feedback loop for ongoing product improvements, and they take the responsibility pretty seriously.  We welcome you to reach out and let us know if you are finding it otherwise in specific cases so we can improve our own processes.

Cheers

Phil

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Stats:
Replies:6 Avg. Rating:5
Views:1265 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard