WLAN disable on a controller upgrade, why?

Answered Question
Feb 7th, 2012

I'm confused.  I'm about to upgrade a 5508 controller so I can do the pre-download to the access points, but in every doc I find, it says to disable the WLAN's before upgrading.  This makes no sense.  I'm just moving code over, why do I have to disrupt my wireless network in order to move code?

Thanks,

Eric

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Stephen Rodriguez about 2 years 2 months ago

It's kind of an old legacy of the older documentation.  No real need to do it anymore.

Steve

Correct Answer by daviwatk about 2 years 2 months ago

I too never disable my WLANs, but I know what you're talking about how it is suggested to disable all WLANs and your b/g/n, a/n networks, per the documentation.

After performing numerous upgrades across multiple platforms, I have seen, very infrequently, that WLANs may map their interfaces back to the management interface after upgrade/reboot.  I'm not sure if this was a particular release x to release y issue, but perhaps this is to help prevent this?

Regardless, nothing "bad" should happen by not doing it; just double check your config once you bring it back up.

Average Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Scott Fella Tue, 02/07/2012 - 09:20

I never disable my wlan's when I download or reboot WLC's.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

Correct Answer
daviwatk Tue, 02/07/2012 - 10:51

I too never disable my WLANs, but I know what you're talking about how it is suggested to disable all WLANs and your b/g/n, a/n networks, per the documentation.

After performing numerous upgrades across multiple platforms, I have seen, very infrequently, that WLANs may map their interfaces back to the management interface after upgrade/reboot.  I'm not sure if this was a particular release x to release y issue, but perhaps this is to help prevent this?

Regardless, nothing "bad" should happen by not doing it; just double check your config once you bring it back up.

Correct Answer
Stephen Rodriguez Tue, 02/07/2012 - 10:53

It's kind of an old legacy of the older documentation.  No real need to do it anymore.

Steve

mike.burk Tue, 02/07/2012 - 11:59
 I'm just moving code over, why do I have to disrupt my wireless network in order to move code?

Although you don't have to disable the WLAN, after rebooting the controller, each AP will have to reboot so you should expect to see around 5-10 minutes of downtime depending on how many of APs you have.

I just upgraded 4 5508s last week without WLAN disable. You will be fine.

Leo Laohoo Wed, 02/08/2012 - 22:15
but in every doc I find, it says to disable the WLAN's before upgrading.

Really????  I've never read that.  It's OK.  I've just upgraded to the new 7.0.223 and it works fine.

By the way, anyone upgrading to this version will see the WAPs boot TWICE.

daviwatk Mon, 02/13/2012 - 23:52

Steps 4(optional) and 5.  This is from 7.0.230.0 Release notes.  I believe I've seen this in several release notes versions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_230_0.html#wp844121

Step 4 (Optional) Disable the controller 802.11a/n and 802.11b/g/n networks.

Note For busy networks, controllers on high utilization, or small controller platforms it is advisable to disable the 802.11a/b/g/n networks as a precautionary measure.

Step 5 Disable any WLANs on the controller.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Stats:
Replies:7 Avg. Rating:5
Views:591 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard