cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN disable on a controller upgrade, why?

ERIC BARNETT
Level 1
Level 1

I'm confused.  I'm about to upgrade a 5508 controller so I can do the pre-download to the access points, but in every doc I find, it says to disable the WLAN's before upgrading.  This makes no sense.  I'm just moving code over, why do I have to disrupt my wireless network in order to move code?

Thanks,

Eric

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

daviwatk
Level 3
Level 3

I too never disable my WLANs, but I know what you're talking about how it is suggested to disable all WLANs and your b/g/n, a/n networks, per the documentation.

After performing numerous upgrades across multiple platforms, I have seen, very infrequently, that WLANs may map their interfaces back to the management interface after upgrade/reboot.  I'm not sure if this was a particular release x to release y issue, but perhaps this is to help prevent this?

Regardless, nothing "bad" should happen by not doing it; just double check your config once you bring it back up.

View solution in original post

It's kind of an old legacy of the older documentation.  No real need to do it anymore.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I never disable my wlan's when I download or reboot WLC's.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

daviwatk
Level 3
Level 3

I too never disable my WLANs, but I know what you're talking about how it is suggested to disable all WLANs and your b/g/n, a/n networks, per the documentation.

After performing numerous upgrades across multiple platforms, I have seen, very infrequently, that WLANs may map their interfaces back to the management interface after upgrade/reboot.  I'm not sure if this was a particular release x to release y issue, but perhaps this is to help prevent this?

Regardless, nothing "bad" should happen by not doing it; just double check your config once you bring it back up.

It's kind of an old legacy of the older documentation.  No real need to do it anymore.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I'm just moving code over, why do I have to disrupt my wireless network in order to move code?

Although you don't have to disable the WLAN, after rebooting the controller, each AP will have to reboot so you should expect to see around 5-10 minutes of downtime depending on how many of APs you have.

I just upgraded 4 5508s last week without WLAN disable. You will be fine.

ERIC BARNETT
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all of the assistance folks!  I appreciate it.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
but in every doc I find, it says to disable the WLAN's before upgrading.

Really????  I've never read that.  It's OK.  I've just upgraded to the new 7.0.223 and it works fine.

By the way, anyone upgrading to this version will see the WAPs boot TWICE.

Steps 4(optional) and 5.  This is from 7.0.230.0 Release notes.  I believe I've seen this in several release notes versions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_230_0.html#wp844121

Step 4 (Optional) Disable the controller 802.11a/n and 802.11b/g/n networks.

Note For busy networks, controllers on high utilization, or small controller platforms it is advisable to disable the 802.11a/b/g/n networks as a precautionary measure.

Step 5 Disable any WLANs on the controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: