Views
Helpful
Replies

Signaling Protocol on UC560

Safar Safarov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have CP7936 phone which is running SCCP only as far as I know. I would like to know if UC560 is utilizing SCCP or SIP protocols. I never used that box. And didn't find any info about it. Is it run by Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express or Firmware like UC320?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Safar.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

telecastle
Level 1
Level 1

As far as I know, UC500 devices support SCCP, SIP, and SPCP (Smart Phone Control Protocol, which is modified SCCP). If you want to have Cisco Small Business support on the UC500, you must configure it with CCA (Cisco Configuration Assistant), which is a GUI based configuration utility. CCA is very particular as to what features are enabled and how they are configured. It's rather restrictive compared to the plethora of options that CLI provides. If you decide to stick with CCA the only signaling protocol option for IP phones registered with UC500 is SCCP, except when you register SPA500 Series phones, SPCP is used. 

If you decide to configure UC500 in CLI, you can use SIP as the signaling protocol for all of your IP phones, if you wish to do so.

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong here.

View solution in original post

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

telecastle is correct and UC500 runs on Call Manager Express.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Safar,

Please be mindful of the fact that the UC-500 through CCA does not currently support SIP end points, only SIP trunks unless CCA 3.2 is to officially support this (I am not sure if it does or not).

The UC itself can support SIP end-points but only via CLI which is currently an un-supported method.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi,

Yet only if you use FXS ports with analog conference phone as far as I am aware.

Best regards,

Alex

11 Replies 11

telecastle
Level 1
Level 1

As far as I know, UC500 devices support SCCP, SIP, and SPCP (Smart Phone Control Protocol, which is modified SCCP). If you want to have Cisco Small Business support on the UC500, you must configure it with CCA (Cisco Configuration Assistant), which is a GUI based configuration utility. CCA is very particular as to what features are enabled and how they are configured. It's rather restrictive compared to the plethora of options that CLI provides. If you decide to stick with CCA the only signaling protocol option for IP phones registered with UC500 is SCCP, except when you register SPA500 Series phones, SPCP is used. 

If you decide to configure UC500 in CLI, you can use SIP as the signaling protocol for all of your IP phones, if you wish to do so.

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong here.

Thanks for your comments. Do you know what signaling protocol run by UC320?

Hi Safar,

The UC320 uses SIP protocol.

Best regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Is there any conference phone available for UC320 then?

Cheers,

Safar

Hi,

Yet only if you use FXS ports with analog conference phone as far as I am aware.

Best regards,

Alex

Ok. Will try Polycom then. Thanks.

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

telecastle is correct and UC500 runs on Call Manager Express.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Safar,

Please be mindful of the fact that the UC-500 through CCA does not currently support SIP end points, only SIP trunks unless CCA 3.2 is to officially support this (I am not sure if it does or not).

The UC itself can support SIP end-points but only via CLI which is currently an un-supported method.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

One more question,

can UC500 run SCCP and SPCP simultaneously in case if I have both CP7900 and SPA500 series phones in my network?

Thanks,

Safar.

Hi Safar,

You can use simultaneously both 7900 and SPA500 with UC500.

Best regards,

Alex

That's great, my only concern was Cisco CP-7936.

Many thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: