Views
Helpful
Replies

System Alternate MTU

Pedro Morais
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I'm doing some tests with a new IOS version (12.2(55)SE4) for the ME3400E. During the tests I've noticed that "show system mtu" command shows more information than the previous image:

### IOS 12.2(52)SE ###

EDD_RFS#sh system mtu

System MTU size is 1500 bytes

System Jumbo MTU size is 9000 bytes

Routing MTU size is 1500 bytes

### IOS 12.2(55)SE4 ###

EDD_RFS#sh system mtu

System MTU size is 1500 bytes

System Jumbo MTU size is 9000 bytes

System Alternate MTU size is 1500 bytes

Routing MTU size is 1500 bytes

I've done some research but I couldn't found much info about the command output, and specifically regarding "System Alternate MTU". Could someone help me understand what is “System Alternate MTU”, and the difference between “System MTU” and “System Alternate MTU".

Thanks!!!!

Cheers,

Pedro

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ivan Krimmel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Pedro,

Alternate MTU, by itself, does nothing until you specifically assign it to a specific 10/100 or GE port

It defines a third interface MTU that fits between the system MTU and jumbo MTU.The system MTU is the interface MTU for the 10/100 ports. The jumbo MTU is the interface MTU for the GE ports. The alternate MTU can be an interface MTU for any 10/100 or GE port. You apply the Alternate MTU with a global command that maps the alternate MTU to the desired interfaces.  A change to the alternate MTU or any of its applied interfaces, like the system and jumbo MTU commands, requires a reload.

HTH,

Ivan.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ivan Krimmel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Pedro,

Alternate MTU, by itself, does nothing until you specifically assign it to a specific 10/100 or GE port

It defines a third interface MTU that fits between the system MTU and jumbo MTU.The system MTU is the interface MTU for the 10/100 ports. The jumbo MTU is the interface MTU for the GE ports. The alternate MTU can be an interface MTU for any 10/100 or GE port. You apply the Alternate MTU with a global command that maps the alternate MTU to the desired interfaces.  A change to the alternate MTU or any of its applied interfaces, like the system and jumbo MTU commands, requires a reload.

HTH,

Ivan.

Thanks Ivan!!!

Two questions:

- In what version was"Alternate MTU" introduced?

- How can I apply the "Alternate MTU" to a desired interface?

Once again thanks for you help.

Cheers,

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

my pleasure.

it looks like we've got this feature starting from 12.2(55)SE -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3400/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swint.html

the syntax to have it configured is straightforward:

system mtu alternate interface {interface-id | range interface-range}

in global conf mode.

I hope that helped!

Ivan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: