cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS9124 license install

Mark Potter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm Brand new to SAN-OS and MDS networking.

I've got a task to install some port licenses for two MDS 9124 running SAN-OS 3.3(2)

Can someone tell me if when I use the Java Device Manager to install the license, does it do anything to the switch like disabling ports or reloading?

The ones we have are in production and moving data constantly.

Many Thanks.

Mark.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kris Vandecruys
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

Port licenses installation is normally not disruptive. A 9124 normally comes with 8 ports default licensed.  If you used the other ones (more ports that the 8 default) You can have activated the grace period.  Installing a permanent license should disable grace and enable the new one, but it should not disrupt traffic.

i've included the link to our docs on how to install licenses:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/configuration/guides/fm_3_3_1/lic.html#wp1534218

Hopes this helps, and if you have any more questions, please let me know. 

/Kris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kris Vandecruys
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

Port licenses installation is normally not disruptive. A 9124 normally comes with 8 ports default licensed.  If you used the other ones (more ports that the 8 default) You can have activated the grace period.  Installing a permanent license should disable grace and enable the new one, but it should not disrupt traffic.

i've included the link to our docs on how to install licenses:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/configuration/guides/fm_3_3_1/lic.html#wp1534218

Hopes this helps, and if you have any more questions, please let me know. 

/Kris

Thank you,

That was exactly what I'm after.

Mark.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: