Views
Helpful
Replies

How to move lightweight access points to new controller - help

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I have a 4404 WLC with 50 access points on it. I have just setup a new 5508 WLC, I want to move each AP one by one to my new controller. My controllers have different versions of code so I cant add the mobility group.

Can I change under each access point under the high availability tab, and set my new controller to the primary and the old controller to secondary and reboot them, will this work?

cheers

Carl

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think that will work if you don't define the wlc in the mobility group setting. You might just want to try to factory default each ap and use option 43 or DNS to have the AP's join the new wlc. Are you sure you can't add the the wlc to the mobility group. You should be?

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi there

It is saying "control and data path down" on the mobility group, I have out in the IP of each and the management interface mac address, but it doesnt come up, any ideas why not ?

Also if I add the dhcp config to my server with option 43 as the new controller, will my current access points stay connected to the original controller until i reboot them? they also have static IP addresses defined currently.

I am using dns at the moment for them to find my old controller.

what should I do?

Cheers

Carl

Don't use the management Mac... Use whatever mac address is listed in the mobility group top entry. That is the mac address or that wlc. You will also need ap fallback enabled but see if that brings up your mobility.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Ahh, I see, I used the burned in mac of the WLC, its now working

also i added the new WLC as the primary controller, rebooted it and its now all ok.

I will move them all this way to the new controller, once done I will add the DHCP scope and also edit the DNS entry.

Do you need mobility set up for controller failover ? If no controller IP's for primary and secondary are set up on each AP, How does the AP knwo to go to the backup controller? and in the DHCP config, would I add both controllers into option 43 ?

cheers

Carl

You will want to configure mobility and set the primary, secondary and or tertiary wlc for AP's to know of the WLCs. Option 43 and DNS only points them to a WLC I help with the join. Doesn't mean that they will I to the correct wlc. Setting the primary, secondary and or tertiary will help te ap in the decision (join) process.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: