cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

fax line used for outgoing calls when incomming fax not coming in?

Mark Smith
Level 1
Level 1

So is there a way to do this? Can I route the 1 FXO to FXS for incomming calls (and plug fax into FXS) or something like this and then use that line as an outgoing line when not in use?

I don't need step but steps but the basics of how something like this could be configured would be awesome!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mark,

We can control the behavior of the inbound call by adding a route for that specific FXO Line and pointing it to the FXS port.  The challenge is we don't currently route out specific FXO ports for outbound calls when you dial a steering digit such as a 9 to make an outbound call.  The selection order is from lowest available port number first.  This may cause confusion if someone wants to return a fax and the caller ID on the far end fax machine is a different phone number than your fax number.

We have seen several similar feature requests for what you are asking and I think the engineering team is looking at it for a future feature release.  It might be best to leave the fax on its own dedicated line.

Chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi Mark,

Since an FXS port currently can't be a member of a shared FXO line, the FXO you use for the FAX would have to be in PBX style routing meaning if the circuit is idle, it will be selected for outbound calls.  There is nothing you need to do.

If you had a shared FXO line, there is a checkbox option on the Shared FXO Line page to allow the FXO to be used for outbound calls.

Chris

I'm not sure if I understand. I set this up, so I understand phone systems enough to do this, but I don't really don't know the terminoligy.

Let me back up.

Currently our business has 2 lines and a fax line. Right now the two lines are plugged into 2 FXO ports and the fax line is just plugged into the fax machine--not the UC320. We're in mixed mode, not pbx specifically. We get one or two faxes a day and we send two or 3 faxes a day. We'd like to be able to use the fax line for outgoing calls when it's not being used for fax.

So I need to be able to control the in and the out of the fax line. I need all incomming calls for the fax number routed to what I assume would be the FXS port (with the fax machine plugged into the FXS port), and none of the other lines routed in this way (the other lines would go to the attendant).

Then I need if we send a fax, we need for when the fax machine opens the line for it to automatically be routed to the fax line. Then the fax machine can dial and send faxes. I think we send few enough faxes that we're not too worried about what happens if we try to send a fax and the phone is busy, but it would be nice to be able to look at a phone and tell if the fax line is in use.

I don't really care if the Fax line is part of a shaed FXO, it can be a seperate choice on the phone for making outgoing calls (one of the buttons next to the screen or something).

Is all this possible? Is it only possible in PBX style or is mixed ok?

Hi Mark,

We can control the behavior of the inbound call by adding a route for that specific FXO Line and pointing it to the FXS port.  The challenge is we don't currently route out specific FXO ports for outbound calls when you dial a steering digit such as a 9 to make an outbound call.  The selection order is from lowest available port number first.  This may cause confusion if someone wants to return a fax and the caller ID on the far end fax machine is a different phone number than your fax number.

We have seen several similar feature requests for what you are asking and I think the engineering team is looking at it for a future feature release.  It might be best to leave the fax on its own dedicated line.

Chris

Thanks for your help.

Christopher,

Any news on that feature? Has the engineering team started developping a solution for that, I have a client too who would certainly benefit being able to do outbound call routing.

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: