Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS and Nexus

ahmed.abdraboh
Level 1
Level 1

Dear ,

if i have a LMS server the newest version, and i bout Nexus 7K with its DCNM ver 5.2 (DCNM-N7K-K9)

the question is

can i install the (DCNM-N7K-K9) license on the Cisco Prime LMS 4.1 Base so that i can manage Nexus through LMS??

if this works Can I manage all Nexus switches also???

Thanks

Ahmed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DCNM and LMS are distinct products with some overlap. Depending on how you are wanting to manage your Nexus environment, you may want to use one, the other or both management products.

You can manage your Nexus 7K somewhat directly from LMS - fault works fine, configuration archiving and topology are also supported. You cannot really manage VLANs and the storage-related options on Nexus's from LMS.

While you may be able to get it to work, it's generally NOT a good idea to install any other management products on the same server as LMS.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DCNM and LMS are distinct products with some overlap. Depending on how you are wanting to manage your Nexus environment, you may want to use one, the other or both management products.

You can manage your Nexus 7K somewhat directly from LMS - fault works fine, configuration archiving and topology are also supported. You cannot really manage VLANs and the storage-related options on Nexus's from LMS.

While you may be able to get it to work, it's generally NOT a good idea to install any other management products on the same server as LMS.

so if i have just   DCNM-N7K-K9 (DCNM for LAN Enterprise License for one Nexus 7000 Chassis) installed on a server, i can manage al nexus switches like 5k and 2k??

That's correct, provided that they are among the models with NX-OS versions listed in the compatibility matrix.

Hello Marvin,

since both Products have evoluated (LMS 4.2 and DCNM 5.2) and many customers having Wlan and Nexus Switches would tend to prefere the Prime Infrastructure (NCS+LMS) package, I'm not sure this is the right choice.

Can you explain me more in deep why I should prefere or not LMS or DCMN in a mixed Network (WLAN + Cat Switches + Nexus + Cisco SAN)

Or should I really prefere Prime Infrastructure + DCNM in this case ??  The management politics is actually a bit confusing.

Thank you,

Jacky

Hi Jacky,

Even with a static set of management tools, the answer for what Cisco network management tool to use would be a difficult one. LMS, NCS and DCNM are all evolving as you note. In my opinion, Cisco is not presenting a unified and compelling story for its customers (not for its partners) so we are left to do some of our own analysis and creative thinking - perhaps we can think of it as value added.

I believe the answer depends on your customer - not only their installed based but also their organizational maturity and skill sets. Any network management solution (tool) is only as good as the processes and people that work with it to deliver the services. I've seen customers with only a script running ping checks and configuration archives on a server in a literal closet be as well-managed as others with a set of complex products and a big room with large displays and flashing lights.

For any significant Nexus deployment  - especially one with Nexus serving LAN and SAN, I would advocate for DCNM. Unfortunately, it does nothing for the non-Nexus wired and wireless infrastructure. so that's where LMS and/or NCS (or the Cisco Prime Infrastructure bundle) would be indicated.

I'm not sure that's a proper answer but I believe it's reflective of the state of Cisco-branded enterprise network management ca. February 2012.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: