Views
Helpful
Replies

Restrict phones in Device Pool

Essam Butt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We want to restrict phones that are connected to different device pools.

e.g.

If we have two buildings with seperate device pool for each. We want to restrict roaming between these two buildings based on device pool.

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure MAC security/authenticaion in the switches and that will make so only devices you configure will connect at the place you want them to be.

Well yes, that is also possible. But I need to know if its possible in the Call Manager or atleast from the Gateway side.

Essam,

Are you wanting to make sure phones use specific device pool when they roam  from building to building?  If so then use Device Mobility feature avaialble since CUCM 4.2 and 6.0.

HTH,

Chris

On the contrary, I don't want phones with specific device pool to roam between buildings.

Let's say, building 1 has phones configured with device pool DP1 and building 2 has phones configured with device pool DP2. Phones with device pool DP1 should not work in building 2 and vice versa. Both buildings have their own SRST gateways.

If its not possible with device pool than in what other way is this possible?

Hope its clear.

Thanks,

By "should not work" do you mean they should not be able to register or should not be able to make any calls.

If the first one outside of what Paolo already suggested I cannot think of any other way.

If the second then you can configure Device Mobility in a way to block all calls when they are roaming at these locations.

HTH,

Chris

Well I was thinking of the first one, but the second should also be fine.

Any idea on how I can block calls thru device mobility?

Thanks,

Build "Physical Location" for each location, assuming you are not currently using Device Mobility, if you are no need to do this

Build device mobility group

Build New CSS that has no parition listed in it

Build Device Pools, use the new CSS as Roaming CSS

Build device Mobility info group for each subnet at the location and assign the DP to them

Assign "Physical Location" to existing DPs used by the phones.

This way when phones register at a different "Physical Location" with an IP address defined in one of the device mobility info groups they will use this roaming device pool and roaming CSS that cannot dial anything, or whatever you defined in it.

For more details on how device mobility works check out SRND and CUCM Feature and System Guides.

HTH,

Chris

Oh, nice. will definitely try this.

Thanks,

By the way, this is a nice reply. I want the same thing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: