cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cli - associating users with phones

lscd-fort
Level 1
Level 1

In the gui this is self explanatory, but would like to be able to reassign / create new users / associate users with phones at the CLI of our UCS 560. I see some of the relevant sections, below, but not where the mac address of the phone actually gets associated with the user. What's the relevant parts of the config to make that happen at the CLI? Thanks

ephone  33

device-security-mode none

mac-address C062.6BD2.472A

ephone-template 15

max-calls-per-button 2

username "New.018" password 123456

type 7931

button  1:556 2m572 3m570 4m592

button  5m591 6m589 7m587 8m594

button  9m593 10m596 11m597 12m588

button  17m583 18m584 19m585 20m586

(snip)

ephone-dn  556  octo-line

number 842 no-reg primary

label Test-842

description Test User

name Test User

call-forward busy 399

call-forward noan 399 timeout 20

6 Replies 6

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Chris,

You are looking right at it

"ephone  33" is the phone configuration not the user configuration

"ephone-dn  556" is the user configuration with also call routing rules which is not done on the ephone

To associate a user to a phone you would need to ensure that the correct MAC address is associated to the ephone (Not the DN) and that the correct button assignment is in place for instance, button 1:556 on the above ephone is pointing to ephone-dn 556, so this completes the association.

Now a couple of things you need to remember:

1. CLI changes are not covered under support unless you are UC express certified
  2. If the changes are different to how CCA creates it or makes it or even changes it, then CCA might delete that configuration completly, or CCA will not like it and just ignore the whole thing
  3. Doing CLI changes may also put your system out of SBSC scope

You need to fully understand what you are doing and what impact the changes may have on the system, if you are not well versed in CLI, or CCA-OOB changes then I am obligated to let you know that you could be causing yourself many headaches

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do CLI? Is it as a learning experiencing, or understanding what goes on under the hood?? Or for conducting remote configuration where the GUI cannot be used???

If you need more help just ask

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Thanks for the reply David, a big help, that does make sense now that I look at button 1. I assume button 1 is the 'identity' for the phone <-> user association?

I'm not a cisco ucs expert, but have worked with a shoretel system in the past, so I'm familiar with most of the concepts.

I'm a linux systems person, so yes to both of your questions, I do want to absolutely know what's going on under the hood. Also I'm only at this site about 2 weeks per month, rest of the time I have an ssh prompt into the network with vpn. So being able to manage from command line is a huge plus for me. Being able to run debugs to see where calls are going and why is also a big plus.

I version control and checksum all my configs, so the concept of change history of the config makes sense for me. All this being said, I can appreciate the gui, however can everything realistically be configured from the CLI? Or are there some things that have to be done from the gui?

Thanks so much for your help and I imagine I'll have a couple more questions from time to time.

Hi Chris,

There is a story behind the push for using the GUI too long to write out and probably no point venturing down that track at this point... Suffice to say, that the GUI is the primary method in which Cisco will give you support on, CLI support on these SMB devices is waning away, and their is a genuine need to do so.

CCA for what its worth, is a key critical component in maintaining and managing a UC-500 system, it also structures the system in the way that Cisco would prefer them to be deployed in, it remove the ability of Cow Boy CLI jockey's leaving a client high and dry with a badly configured system, and further to that fortifies the support mechanism as 95% of the UC-500 deployments will be consistently the same, minus the required customization that would be required, but the configuration structure is fundamentally the same.

If you have VPN access into the network than CCA can still manage it, you don't do things like IOS/CUE upgrades over the WAN you leave that till you are on-site, but all ad-hoc modifications can and should be done by CCA.

Updating and modifying the system via CLI should be your last resort, if there is any inclination of getting an SBSC contract on the system, then CLI will have to be 100% excluded without explicit permission from SBSC to do such CLI changes, others you void the support contract... Even if no support, if you want the majority of us on here to be able to support you to our fullest capacity, then using the GUI will get the best of us, even though most of us a originally CLI trained (Those of us who are not Cisco employed but love to help out on here).

I can only encourage you to give CCA a proper go, be committed to using it, if it doesn't work out for you then feel free to go to CLI, and yes you can make 100% of the changes via CLI, wether it be the right way or not is another thing.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Thanks David, I can appreciate the support aspect.

Another question, how to swap users / phones, which was one of my original goals. i.e., a user is changing desks. Let's say in the GUI. ; ) 

Maybe just as simple as changing the button 1 config in the GUI, swapping the users ext with an unused ext? Or is it acceptable practice to delete/re add the phone, that way you can set up the user id, etc as you want? Seems one just needs the mac address, and you can add a phone back in.

Thanks

Hi Chris,

I dont know about others but I just move the physical phones around

Out side of that standard practice is to delete and recreate the user in CCA, in the old days this would be done easily via CLI without having to remove the user, but the close integration with the CUE requires deletion now, you can avoid doing this if you keep the user name generic, I tend to use ID numbers instead of names so they can be used with anyone

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

David.

Hi David, does the ucs 560 require MS sbs ? We have an sbs 2011 server and will be replacing it in the coming weeks.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: