Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Map on Distribute-list statement for EIGRP

ayokunles
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

need some help on applying a distribute-list statement which contains a route-map for EIGRP on the edge router.

i need to apply a route map that directs a particular traffic from a server to a specific next hop (alternate link to remote location)

can i use this command sequence.

ip access-list extended REDIRECT

permit ip host x.x.52.16 x.x.40.128 0.0.0.63 (traffic to specific remote location)

route-map REDIRECT

match ip address REDIRECT

set ip next-hop x.x.14.10 (alternate link to remote location)

router eigrp xxxx

distribute-list route-map REDIRECT out

need help if this config would work, please note that the edge router contains GRE tunnels to other remote locations.

thanks

10 Replies 10

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

I would put the route-map under the interface vlan config for the host network.

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

distribute-list is for filtering prefixes not for modifying routing behavior, in this case you should use your route-map in a PBR statement on the interface where the traffic is coming in for this particular destination subnet or you can manipulate the metric of this prefix with an offset-list to make the link going to other next-hop the prefered link for this prefix.

Can you provide a diagram so we can see  which solutions you could implement.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Vivek Ganapathi
Level 4
Level 4

I believe this should work. Never tried though. But was just going through a doc which is not very clear of this support but feels it supports. Have a read of the below statement from Cisco

"When a route map is used with a distribute-list command that is configured for inbound or outbound filtering, route packets that are learned from or advertised to EIGRP peers can be processed with the route map to provide better control of route selection during the route exchange process.

Source : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t8/feature/guide/gteigrpr.html

I would test this in my lab today & see if this works

Thanks

Vivek

It is not entirely clear what the original poster is trying to achieve. But I believe that the description of what they want sounds more like directing traffic and not so much like filtering routing updates. In which case I agree with Alain that distribute list is for filtering routing updates and if you need to direct traffic then you should use a route map in a Policy Based Routing command on the interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Donald,

please see attached diagram.

The remote users currently use L1 to download all traffic from HQ

I want the remote users to use L2 to download from the AV Server.

likewise, i want the AV server to use L2 to get to the remote users.

L1 and L2 are GRE tunnels to the remote location. this scenario applies to every other remote location.

thanks all

Sorry, but this won't work. Route-maps can be used to filter routes and perform certain other actions like changing the metric (adding only) and setting or testing tags, but they cannot be used to explicitly set a next-hop. This is the realm of Policy-Based Routing rather than an IGP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Donald

This is an excellent clarifiation. +5 and my thanks.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi Richard,

still waiting for your expert opinion on this

The original question was about using a distribute list to cause traffic to go in  certain ways. Several of us have responded that this can not be done with distribute list.

If the question now is different then we can give different answers. If the question is how to have users at the remote site to use L2 to get to the AV server and how to have the traffic from AV server to use L2 to get to the remote site then I would suggest this as a solution:

- on remote site it is easy. configure a more specific route to the address of the AV server which points to L2 next hop address.

- on edge it is a bit more complex. I would suggest to configure Policy Based routing so that traffic with source address of AV server and destination of remote should set next hop to be the L2 next hop address.

This should work. Give it a try and let us know the results.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Donald for clarifying & the poster as well. Was a real good learning. +5 to donald from me as well

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card