cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring a Non-Cisco switch for UC320W

tbit.ahill
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone shed any light on configuration.  I'm use a couple of D-Links (DES-3028P) at this site.  I haven't tried the config noted in a different post (see below), though it seems to highlight potential issues. 

I will be using the phone ports for PC's and have seen the other discussions on VLAN1-untagged, VLAN100-tagged, VLAN trunking, and conflicting opinions on and L2 loop using 2 cables.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ADAM CRISP
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Alan.

Out of the box, a UC 320 -internal LAN switch is configured with each port supporting:

Vlan 1 - untagged

Vlan 100 - tagged (used for phones)

1. Make sure vlan 100 is created on the Dlink

2. The Dlink port used to connect to the UC320 should be a trunk port - carrying at least vlan 1 untagged, and vlan 100 tagged.

3. The Dlink port used to connect a telephone, should be again - a Trunk port carrying vlan 1 untagged and vlan 100 tagged.

4, The CiscoDiscoveryProtocol messages sent from the UC320, should be forwarded unmolested by the Dlink and reach the phone.

The CDP message tells the phone to use vlan 100 for voice, so as long as you make sure you network supplies vlan 100 (tagged) to the phone you should be OK.

Adam

View solution in original post

oh and with regards to the two cables - I don't *think* the UC320 runs spanning tree - so you're reliant on spanning tree running on the Dlink to identify the loop and block a port - I wouln't bother using dual cables...

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ADAM CRISP
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Alan.

Out of the box, a UC 320 -internal LAN switch is configured with each port supporting:

Vlan 1 - untagged

Vlan 100 - tagged (used for phones)

1. Make sure vlan 100 is created on the Dlink

2. The Dlink port used to connect to the UC320 should be a trunk port - carrying at least vlan 1 untagged, and vlan 100 tagged.

3. The Dlink port used to connect a telephone, should be again - a Trunk port carrying vlan 1 untagged and vlan 100 tagged.

4, The CiscoDiscoveryProtocol messages sent from the UC320, should be forwarded unmolested by the Dlink and reach the phone.

The CDP message tells the phone to use vlan 100 for voice, so as long as you make sure you network supplies vlan 100 (tagged) to the phone you should be OK.

Adam

oh and with regards to the two cables - I don't *think* the UC320 runs spanning tree - so you're reliant on spanning tree running on the Dlink to identify the loop and block a port - I wouln't bother using dual cables...

Thanks Adam--I had spanning tree enabled and didn't have the vlan trunking setup.  Now all is working fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: