Helpful
Replies

8510 nHD Questions

t.svatek
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

i´ve got some questions on nHD with 8510 MCU Version 4.3:

1. How many nHD Ports can I handle with 8510 simultaniously? For instance am I able to use 160 nHD ports or is it limited to 80 Ports?

2. What happens, if set the MCU to nHD and a HD-Endpoint dials in?

thanks

Tino

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tino!

1) I just tested it, with 60 licenses on the 8510 you get either 60 sd port or 80 nHD, so 80 is the limit. Not tested but assume that clustering is also not possible.

So the intention for me looks more that you can get more out of your purchased licenses (guess for us it can be

nice for some more boradcast style announcements or desktop/mobile endpoints) and not increase port >80.

2) you just dont get more resolution, example:

Movi (4:3 integrated cam):

Tx: CIF, H.264, 704k, AAC-LD

Rx: CIF, H.264, 768k, AAC-LD

c20:

Tx: 512 x 288, H.264, 2.00M, AAC-LD

Rx: 640 x 360, H.264, 2.00M, AAC-LD

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

And here an extract of the online help:

And from the online help:

Configuring media ports settings

This topic only applies to the MCU 4500 Series and the MCU MSE 8510.

The MCU has following media port modes and capacities:

Media port mode Capacity
nHDUp to w360p at 30fps.
SDUp to w448p at 30fps.
HD

Up to 720p at 30fps or w448p at  60fps.

HD+

Up to  1080p at 30fps (asymmetric), or  720p at 60fps,  however,  endpoints will only be allowed to send 720p at  30fps or w448p at   60fps.  The MCU will send higher resolutions by using  multi-pane  layouts.

Full HD

Up to 1080p at 30fps (symmetric), or 720p at 60fps.

For information about the number of ports available on the different models of MCU, refer to MCU port matrix.

On the MCU MSE 8510, each Full HD and HD+ participant requires four   media port licenses. Each HD participant requires two media port   licenses.  Each SD participant requires only one media port license.   Therefore, to achieve the full capacity in Full HD mode you need to   allocate 60 port licenses to the blade, and for HD+ mode 80 media port   licenses.  To achieve full capacity in HD mode you need to allocate a   total of 40 media port licenses to the  blade. To achieve the full   capacity in SD mode you need to allocate a total of 80 media port   licenses to the blade. nHD mode requires 40 licenses (i.e. each port   consumes 0.5 of a license). For information on how to allocate further   ports to your blade, see the Supervisor online help.

To change the media port capacity mode go to Settings > Media ports.

After enabling a mode, you must restart the MCU for changes to take effect.

Selected option

The  selected option section  shows you how many ports are available  for  each type of connection in the selected mode. The number of  available  ports will change when you switch between modes in the drop  down menu.  This is useful as it allows you to see the port availability  before you  enable either mode and restart the MCU.

Field Field description
Media port modeThe required media port capacity. Choose from  Full HD,  HD+, HD, SD or nHD.
Full high definition  video portsThe number of 1080p30 (symmetric) video ports available. Note: This is to transmit and receive at this resolution.
High definition plus video ports

The number of 1080p30 (asymmetric) video ports available. Note: This is to transmit at this resolution only.

High definition video ports

The number of 720p30 video ports available.

Standard definition video ports

Only available on the MCU 4501.

nHD video ports

MCU MSE 8510 only, the number of standard definition video ports available.

Dedicated streaming and content ports

The number of dedicated streaming and  content ports available. Where  streaming and content ports are provided,  when streaming and content  ports are used up, video ports will not be  allocated to streaming  viewers or providers of content. Where there are  no streaming and  content ports, conferences with streaming viewers and  conferences with  content will use available video ports.

Additional audio ports

The number of audio-only ports available.  Each audio port can be  used by one voice-only participant in a video  conference. When  audio-only ports are unavailable, voice-only  participants will use  available video ports.             On the MCU MSE 8510, if Standard definition  mode is selected, this value will always appear as zero.

1) when I clicked on send it also catched my eye, I can tell you the MSE8510 can be configured in the SD mode, so it looks like a glitch in the documentation

2) it is a generic MCU setting not not something on a per call base, also all ports on a mcu are set

to the same mode, so you can not have 10FullHD and 40nHD on the same MCU (thugh I would like it)

If you want different settings you would need different blades, like one in SD and one in FullHD.

The tables in the second message I posted here show you what you get on a blade if you set a specitic mode.

A cluster slave blade alwas follows the setting of the cluster master. Only HD modes work for clustering,

(nHD is not an HD mode), 3 blades can be clustered.

If you set the blade to FullHD (60 sd-port licenses needed for 15 FullHD ports)

you can only connect 15 clients, even if all are only using w360p

Dont forget if you would think of switching from 15FullHD to 80nHD ports that you would

also need proper call licenses on the VCS.

3) See above, so: No

10 Replies 10

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tino!

1) I just tested it, with 60 licenses on the 8510 you get either 60 sd port or 80 nHD, so 80 is the limit. Not tested but assume that clustering is also not possible.

So the intention for me looks more that you can get more out of your purchased licenses (guess for us it can be

nice for some more boradcast style announcements or desktop/mobile endpoints) and not increase port >80.

2) you just dont get more resolution, example:

Movi (4:3 integrated cam):

Tx: CIF, H.264, 704k, AAC-LD

Rx: CIF, H.264, 768k, AAC-LD

c20:

Tx: 512 x 288, H.264, 2.00M, AAC-LD

Rx: 640 x 360, H.264, 2.00M, AAC-LD

Is there any documentation on the difference between HD/HD+/FullHD and how this relates to your content mode on the codian e.g. IF you have content set to Hybrid in HD mode your content will be stuck at 10FPS with Cisco endpoints that are fully capabile of 720p30fps for both TX/RX of video streams and H.239 or BFCP. The only work around i've been able to figure out is having to set the port modes to FullHD to consistently get content to work at 720p30fps on Tx/Rx.

I'd imagine Hybrid mode is the preferred method of content since it has the best of Transcoding and Passthrough modes enabled potentially. Getting this to work in practice is another thing all together. Endpoints (c series/SX/MX) units that are full H.264 capable will drop down to H.263++ transmission of H.239/BFCP content in this mode and send 10fps content. This is in a homogeneous Cisco end to end environment.

I have no idea why the caps exchange on these cisco devices would ever use H.263++ instead of H.264 but its easily reproducible. TAC has no idea and says working as designed. They also don't see to understand the differences in video compression and why you do NOT want to use H.263 compression anymore.

I suspect its a bug on the codian as the endpoints in point-to-point don't exhibit this type of behavior-- but I keep getting told i need to move to TPS firmware on the codian instead of isolating the potential bug. The documentation and port matrix help file do not help on this. This really reminds me of Polycom's crappy mix and match ports on the MGC where the various cards didn't match capabilities and you were forced to buy extra blades...

MattM

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

And maybe also interesting for those who wonder about the port capabilities:

Media port modeFullHD
Selected option
Full high definition video ports15
High definition plus video ports0
High definition video ports0
Standard definition video ports0
nHD video ports0
Dedicated streaming and content ports0
Additional audio ports15

Media port modeHD+
Selected option
Full high definition video ports0
High definition plus video ports20
nHD video ports0
Additional audio ports20

Media port modeHD
Selected option
High definition video ports20
nHD video ports0
Dedicated streaming and content ports20
Additional audio ports20

Media port modeSD
Selected option
Standard definition video ports80
nHD video ports0
Additional audio ports0

Media port modenHD
Selected option
nHD video ports80
Additional audio ports0

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

And here an extract of the online help:

And from the online help:

Configuring media ports settings

This topic only applies to the MCU 4500 Series and the MCU MSE 8510.

The MCU has following media port modes and capacities:

Media port mode Capacity
nHDUp to w360p at 30fps.
SDUp to w448p at 30fps.
HD

Up to 720p at 30fps or w448p at  60fps.

HD+

Up to  1080p at 30fps (asymmetric), or  720p at 60fps,  however,  endpoints will only be allowed to send 720p at  30fps or w448p at   60fps.  The MCU will send higher resolutions by using  multi-pane  layouts.

Full HD

Up to 1080p at 30fps (symmetric), or 720p at 60fps.

For information about the number of ports available on the different models of MCU, refer to MCU port matrix.

On the MCU MSE 8510, each Full HD and HD+ participant requires four   media port licenses. Each HD participant requires two media port   licenses.  Each SD participant requires only one media port license.   Therefore, to achieve the full capacity in Full HD mode you need to   allocate 60 port licenses to the blade, and for HD+ mode 80 media port   licenses.  To achieve full capacity in HD mode you need to allocate a   total of 40 media port licenses to the  blade. To achieve the full   capacity in SD mode you need to allocate a total of 80 media port   licenses to the blade. nHD mode requires 40 licenses (i.e. each port   consumes 0.5 of a license). For information on how to allocate further   ports to your blade, see the Supervisor online help.

To change the media port capacity mode go to Settings > Media ports.

After enabling a mode, you must restart the MCU for changes to take effect.

Selected option

The  selected option section  shows you how many ports are available  for  each type of connection in the selected mode. The number of  available  ports will change when you switch between modes in the drop  down menu.  This is useful as it allows you to see the port availability  before you  enable either mode and restart the MCU.

Field Field description
Media port modeThe required media port capacity. Choose from  Full HD,  HD+, HD, SD or nHD.
Full high definition  video portsThe number of 1080p30 (symmetric) video ports available. Note: This is to transmit and receive at this resolution.
High definition plus video ports

The number of 1080p30 (asymmetric) video ports available. Note: This is to transmit at this resolution only.

High definition video ports

The number of 720p30 video ports available.

Standard definition video ports

Only available on the MCU 4501.

nHD video ports

MCU MSE 8510 only, the number of standard definition video ports available.

Dedicated streaming and content ports

The number of dedicated streaming and  content ports available. Where  streaming and content ports are provided,  when streaming and content  ports are used up, video ports will not be  allocated to streaming  viewers or providers of content. Where there are  no streaming and  content ports, conferences with streaming viewers and  conferences with  content will use available video ports.

Additional audio ports

The number of audio-only ports available.  Each audio port can be  used by one voice-only participant in a video  conference. When  audio-only ports are unavailable, voice-only  participants will use  available video ports.             On the MCU MSE 8510, if Standard definition  mode is selected, this value will always appear as zero.

Hi Martin,

thank you for the very detailed answer. Questions on this:

1. It seems, that I can only set SD Mode on MCU 4501. Is it right, that this mode is not available on 8510?
  2. If I can only set HD Modes on 8510, how does the MSE count SD-licenses? Based on the endpoint resolution?
  3. If the licenses are acquired based on the endpoint resolution, is it possible to set the Media Port Mode on HD and dial in with w360p and only need a half SD license?

Thank you!

greetings

Tino

1) when I clicked on send it also catched my eye, I can tell you the MSE8510 can be configured in the SD mode, so it looks like a glitch in the documentation

2) it is a generic MCU setting not not something on a per call base, also all ports on a mcu are set

to the same mode, so you can not have 10FullHD and 40nHD on the same MCU (thugh I would like it)

If you want different settings you would need different blades, like one in SD and one in FullHD.

The tables in the second message I posted here show you what you get on a blade if you set a specitic mode.

A cluster slave blade alwas follows the setting of the cluster master. Only HD modes work for clustering,

(nHD is not an HD mode), 3 blades can be clustered.

If you set the blade to FullHD (60 sd-port licenses needed for 15 FullHD ports)

you can only connect 15 clients, even if all are only using w360p

Dont forget if you would think of switching from 15FullHD to 80nHD ports that you would

also need proper call licenses on the VCS.

3) See above, so: No

Martin,

thank you for clearifying this. If I´m able to set the media mode to sd or nHD on 8510 I´m clear on this.

cheers

Tino

Yes, you can!

Thx for voting and setting the thread to answered! +5

Hi Martin,

could you please tell me where in the CCO I can find the online help you've pasted in these your latest replies? I assume it's the ver.4_3 online help and so far I only managed to track down the 4_2 one.

thanks a lot,

francesco

Its from the "real online" online help which is "hosted" on the mcu itself:

http(s)://<4.3MCUaddress>/help_top_level.html