Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS4.1 how to suppress operationallydown events for some interfaces

ahummel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Installed Cisco Prime LMS last week. Everthing seems to be running fine. We configured LMS to send e-mail for certain events. One of them is operationallydown/up events. There are some devices for which we only want to see those events for some of the interfaces. For example: there is a device with several ISDN interfaces. Those are used by business partners to dial-in. We expect those interfaces to go up and down several times per day. We don't want any events/e-mails for that. I can't seem to figure out how to configure that. If anyone can help me with that, it would be greatly appreciated.

We come from LMS2.6, but didn't do an upgrade. It's a big leap, everything works different now.

Regards,

Arjan Hummel

5 Replies 5

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Operation down events a usually due to admin up, line protocol down interfaces. The only way to fix that is to put the interface admin down

When you talk about BRI or PRI channels its a different story

Look at NMSROOT/objects/smarts/conf/discovery/tpmgr-param.conf.

Add a line like this, but with the sysobjectid of your device.

IFDescrPattern-.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1045 ~*Bearer*

Something like this should work, but you need to rediscover the device.

Cheers,

Michel

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Michel noted, if they are not administratively shutdown yet in line protocol down state, you will get the alarm on it. That is the intended behavior.

To change that behavior you would need to either:

a. make the interface admin down,

b. unmanage the interface, or

c. change the behavior of Fault to not stress over this type of interface.

Each approach has pros and cons.

Fine, but tell me: how to do points a and b from your answer using LMS 4.1 GUI or command line? Is it possible to anyhow manage the behavior of DFM inside LMS 4.1? I mean - is it possible to suppress selected faults or choose what interface should not be considered into fault processing engine?

As far as I know it is not possible - DFM will try to process every trap he gets and we cannot control what we want to see.

For option a,

TELNET/SSH to the device, go in config mode , go to the offending inthereface and type shut.

Event will clear in a couple of minutes.

For option b

From fault management device view you can click on a device name to go to the DFM detailed device view. Select the interface, port or IP and change the managed .state to false  click submit and later apply

Cheers,

Michel

Sorry - my mistake I meant option b and c (

c. change the behavior of Fault to not stress over this type of interface.)

, a is obvious ofcourse. Thanks for b, will check that later.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: