Anyone aware of any "best practices" or recommendations on how to migrate from a fixed router (3745) to vlan routing on Catalyst 4507 switches in order to minimize the disruption to the network.
There will be an outage and the only way to minimize it - is to:
1. schedule maintenance window (MW) durring a night or a weekend.
2. preconfigure everything on cat4k before MW
3. prepare all cables - be sure that they're long enough, you have correct sfp moules etc...
4. write exact step-by-step plan with timing - sequence of cables that will be reconnected, sequence of tests that will be performed after reconnecting to confirm that everything is up
5. during MW follow the plan
6. confirm that everything works
Please note that timing will help you to optimize your plan and reduce impact.
Also please consider Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will.
So that also should be reflected in your plan.