Helpful
Replies

Can't connect to HOSTNAME.local.

mreisner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have installed Cisco FindIT.

My SG 200-08 Switches are visible in the sidebar.

When i hover over one of my switches the tooltip display all my Switchinfos.

When i open a switch i get an error of dns-resolution.

FindIT try to connect to the Switch at HOSTNAME.local. and fail.

Why can't FindIT get my configured domain-suffix?

Where can i change the Domain-suffix?

7 Replies 7

cindy toy
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Martin,

Please contact the Small Business Support Center for your particular question: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Regards,

Cindy Toy

Cisco Small Business Community Manager

for Cisco Small Business Products

www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport

twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is pretty unusual.  FindIT and the 200 series switches have been well tested to ensure interoperability.  Can you provide a few more details?  In particular, the version firmware running on the switch, the version of FindIT that you are running, the IP address of your PC, and a screenshot of the FindIT balloon showing the switch details?

Cheers,

Dave.

My PC is domain member and i use the same DHCP-Server as the SG 200-08 Switches.

The SG 200-08 Switches are getting their IP-Adress and domaininformations from the DHCP-Servers.

FindIT broadcasts MDNS. So the Switches are on the same subnet as my workstation.

At the Screenshot you can see the informations of the Switches, the errormessage and the Version of FindIT.

Kind regards

Martin

Hello,

Can you please verify if there is an entry for the switch name in your DNS server? If it is a local network, is there a WINS server that keeps track of the local names? Can you edit the "hosts" file on the PC and add an entry for the switch name and see if the name gets resolved?

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Thanks,

Nagaraja

Ok, assuming you are able to connect to other device correctly using FindIT, this does tend to indicate a problem with the switch.  We release the 1.0.2.0 firmware update for these switches a couple of weeks ago, so it would be worth upgrading the firmware on the switch and see if the problem gets addressed.  I'm not aware of any specific bugfixes in that release that would address this, but I haven't been through the full list of fixes to confirm.

In the meantime, I'll have a talk to engineering and see if they have seen this before.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thank you for your reply.

I will try version 1.0.2.0.

I have many networks with 186 of the SG200-08.

Every SG200-08 on every network shows the same issue.

Our DNS-Servers are updated by the DHCP-Servers.

The Entry for the Switche are OK in both directions.

In the Sniffertrace you can see the MDNS-Query:

_csco-sb._tcp.local: type PTR, class IN, "QM" question

_csco-config._tcp.local: type PTR, class IN, "QM" question

The MDNS-Responses from the switches are like:

switchCB7ED8._csco-sb._tcp.local: type TXT, class IN, cache flush

Name: switchCB7ED8._csco-sb._tcp.local

hostname=swfo0077

.local. is send by the switches.

Can you attach the sniffer trace?  Or alternatively email it to me at dharper@cisco.com.  Our QA folks retested this yesterday and there were no obvious problems.  But I would like to go through the trace in detail to see exactly what is happening.

Cheers,

Dave.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: