Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing Archive Type in VSOM

Tuan Pham
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I want to run this by you before making any changes on the system.

#1. Let's say I have a 100 'Viewable Achives' and they have expiration set to 2 months. Now that i'm running close to out of disk space. I want to go in and change it to 7 days. After I submitted it. Will the change take a affect immediately or do I have to restart the service on all servers(VSOM,VSM) or run Import, etc...?

#2. I also want to change the Framerate/Bitrate(using Batch Admin) from 768 down to 512 and apply the value. Again, will this change take affect immediately and VSOM starts to groomed?

Thank you!

T

2 Replies 2

mcwalter
Level 3
Level 3

Hi tpham,

I have some answers for you.

A1. The archive expiration will have no affect on looping archives. It only comes in to play on stopped archives. However, if you are doing motion event archiving I am not sure if you can adjust the duration after the archive is running or not. A good rule of thumb is to have the archive expiration match the loop duration of the archive (if you are running loops).

A2. If you lower the bitrate all of you current archives (running at 768) will stop and be shelved. Then they should groom off according to whatever you have the "archive expiration" set.

Also you will have new archives at the 512 bitrate.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks Walter! I'm thinking of what you recommended "A good rule of thumb is to have the archive expiration match the loop duration of the archive (if you are running loops)." But my customer has a unique situation. They wanted 45-days loop, but in 'Batch Admin' I can put down 45-days for loop duration. However, for experation the closest I can pick is 2-months, thus it puts me in an odd configuration(i would have under the archive type as 1.5 moths for loop duration and 2 months for expiration. What would you do in this situation? Perhaps, Cisco has to revise batch admin...

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: