WLC upgrade and failover

Unanswered Question
Feb 18th, 2012
User Badges:

Hi,

we have two WLC. WLC1 in one data center and WLC2 in DR data center. I've to upgrade s/w on both WLCs. currently all of our APs are associated with WLC1 so I'll upgrade WLC2 1st. and then WLC1. when I ugprade WLC1 then all APs will failover to WLC2. once WLC1 s/w ugprade is done then I've to failover all APs to WLC1. how do I do that?

Plus: I found that two images on cisco website. FUS.aes and .aes file. do I have to upload both files on WLC for ugprade? which one should I upload first?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
zhenningx Sat, 02/18/2012 - 13:41
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

If you enable "AP Fallback" at Controller->General menu, APs will fall back to WLC1 automatically after WLC1 upgrade is done.

gavin han Sat, 02/18/2012 - 13:55
User Badges:

Thanks. what if AP faillback is enabled on both controllers? it is enabled on both controllers in my case.

zhenningx Sun, 02/19/2012 - 20:34
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Then set WLC1 as the primary controller for all your APs. The APs will always fallback to WLC1 automatically whenever WLC1 is available.

Leo Laohoo Sat, 02/18/2012 - 15:06
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Plus: I found that two images on cisco website. FUS.aes and .aes file. do I have to upload both files on WLC for ugprade? which one should I upload first?

Please read the Release Notes first!  "FUS" firmware is meant for WAPs/WLCs in Russia, comrade.

we have two WLC. WLC1 in one data center and WLC2 in DR data center. I've to upgrade s/w on both WLCs. currently all of our APs are associated with WLC1 so I'll upgrade WLC2 1st. and then WLC1. when I ugprade WLC1 then all APs will failover to WLC2. once WLC1 s/w ugprade is done then I've to failover all APs to WLC1. how do I do that?

You can pre-download the new IOS into the WAP BEFORE you reboot the WLC.  This way when the WLC reboot the WAPs will too.

chopra.harish1 Sat, 02/18/2012 - 19:50
User Badges:

It will follow the sequence you have set in the high availibilty feature. For. e.g. if you have set Primary controller - WLC1

and secondary controller - WLC 2 then it will follow it. whenever the APs will come back up they will go to their respective WLC. Incase you have left the high availability to blank then the AP will join the WLC with less AP or less load.

Actions

This Discussion