Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus dual-sided vPC design with dual-connected

lap
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I would like to make a design with 4 Nexus 5596UP. 2 of them equipped with Layer 3 Expansion Module  so they can serve as core layer and the other 2 Nexus used as Layer 2 for aggregation server layer.

• The 2 Nexus in the core layer will run HSRP and will peer with ISP via BGP for Internet connection
  • The 2 Nexus in the aggregation layer will be configured as layer 2 device and have FEX and switches connected to them

What I am ensure of is how the vpc and port-channel configuration should look like between the 4 nexus. What I was thinking is to run vpc between the 2 Nexus in the aggregation layer and between the 2 Nexus in the core layer. Than I was thinking of connecting each Nexus in the aggragtion layer to both Nexus in the core layer using port-channel and vice-versa.

I have made a drawing og the design I have described above:

NexusDesignNetPro.gif

Do you have any recommendations/comments or improments to this design?

Regards,

Laurent

3 Replies 3

Oleksandr Nesterov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Laurent, you can get inspiration in following example:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/69-data-center/859-configuring-back-to-back-vpcs-on-cisco-nexus-switches.html

Topology is called back-to-back vpc - both peers in one vpc domain will have one virtual port-chanel to downstream switches, and same from downstream switches perspective.

Please remember one important restriction: VPC domain numbers must be unique within each vpc domain (pair o switches).

HTH,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for replying to my post. It looks like that is what I am looking for. Instead of ussing 2 links to each pair, is it possible to bundle 4 links on each side like on this picture:

Is back-to-back the best practice design in my case?

Regards,

Laurent

You're right Laurent.

In your case it's best practice.

HTH,

Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: