cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Movi Users randomly gets "Failed to update presence"

Anthony Chan
Level 1
Level 1

Have Movi user runing 4.2.0.10318 and is registering thru our Expressway, been informed that randomly he would receive a message indicated in the diagram below.  Check on TMS and the VCS Expressway and everything looks fine

Failed to Update Presence.jpg

Wondering if you have encountered this before?

Thanks

Anthony

12 Replies 12

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

This thread relates to 4.3, but the symptom is similar:

http://www.vtctalk.com/showthread.php?t=44823

Might be similar to what he's experiencing?

cheers jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

awinter2
Level 7
Level 7

Anthony,

I doubt that your issue is similar to what was reported on the vtctalk forum as Jens suggests, as in your case, the error is 'No response from server' (Which in this case means the presence server on your VCS), while in the other case, the reason is '403 forbidden' which indicates that the presence request was not authenticated.

I have in fact not seen this purticular error before. Do you know if this issue has occured with other users than the one which reported it initially? Do you know if this only occurs with users registered to your Expressway, or does it occur with internally registered users as well? Can the user place or receive calls briefly after this error is seen?

At first glance I would suspect some kind of intermittent network problem, but without taking logs it's difficult to say for sure.

- Andreas

the technician rarely uses Movi and only saw this time and not previously so it is inconsistent.  have not heard of other users reporting this message internally or externally

calls can be made after that message disappears

as for logs where would that be located? from their movi logs?

Anthony,

in cases such as these it would be common to obtain a diagnostic log from the VCS and optionally Movi client logs.

In this particular case I would recommend to get a case opened with TAC, and you will then get proper instructions on which logs are needed and how to obtain them.

I assume that a 'Failed to update presence' error could possibly be seen if a brief network outage occurs, for example when switching from wired to wireless network, when switching between wireless networks or when connecting/disconnecting from a VPN, to give a few examples. Unless the problem re-occurs without any reasonable explanation, I wouldn't be too worried.

Regards

Andreas

Thanks Andreas

will keep that in mind and see how often it reocurrs

Anthony

I am able to replicate this issue by setting authentication for DSZ on the VCS-E to "do not check credentials", this gives me the exact same error just after registering. Don't know if that qualifies as "occasionally" though, but it only happens at that time, so if I only "occasionally" register....

cheers jens

Jens,

You will be hitting a different type of "Failed to update presence" in that case, where the reason will be "403 Forbidden", since Movi will then be registered in a Subzone which is not authenticated. The subzone which Movi registers in should be set to either Check credentials or Treat as authenticated for presence to work correctly.

In the initial post, the reason for failing to update presence was "No response from server", which is another variant.

Regards

Andreas

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Nope, getting exactly the same error as Anthony, "no response from server".

Guess I'll have to take a screenshot when I get home from to work to show you...

jens

Edit: Ouch - the 403 did not register at all - "no response from server" given as a reason threw me completely - I expected to see "due to policy" or something similar.

So my bad, you're absolutely correct and I am busily wiping eggs off my face - got enough for a whole omelette...

cheers jens

Took another look at this - and noticed that when I get "403 - Failed to update presence - no response from server" - I am still actually getting correct presence from users registered with the VCS-C.

So I guess, in this case, the "failed to update presence" relates to my presence status, not presence in general.

Now I am confused...

Jens,

When Movi complains about not being able to update presence, it is always it's own presence status Movi is referring to, not the presence of the contacts in the Favorites/Recent list.

I don't believe that the 'Failed to update presence - No response from server' is related to '403 Forbidden', since 'No response from server' suggests that Movi did not get any response when sending a presence PUBLISH - While '403 Forbidden' is a server-side response, meaning that Movi did get a response to the publish - and that response was '403 Forbidden'.

'No response from server' indicates that Movi has sent a presence PUBLISH for its own presence and that Movi did not receive any response for this PUBLISH - Which in most cases would indicate a network problem, in that the PUBLISH never arrived at the presence server VCS or that the VCS-generated response to this PUBLISH made it back to Movi.

In any case I think we can safely say that the initial poster's question has been answered and that if Anthony sees this issue reoccur, he should raise a TAC case to get this properly investigated.

- Andreas

Thanks Andreas, very much appreciated. That cleared it up quite nicely for me.

cheers jens

BW Dijk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Anthony,

Did you found a sollution?

Our VCS Expresway starter pack has the same isue.

Bert-Wietze

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: