Views
Helpful
Replies

Application Dial Rules for CUPC

Frank den Haan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

We are using CUCM 7.1.3, CUPS 8.0.2, and CUPC 8.0 in our environment. I have a question regarding the use of Application Dial Rules with CUPC. Specifically when calling external numbers in CUPC that are pulled from Active Directory (AD), like the mobile phone for example.

First off, all numbers in AD are listed as 10 digit numbers.

The Work number in CUPC is mapped to the 4-digit IP Phone field, so there is no issue calling people internally by doing the click to call.

Here's the problem:

A user in Montreal, for example:

1) Create an Application Dial Rule to put "9" in front of the local Montreal area code 514. If this is done, local calling in Montreal works fine from CUPC.

2) Create an Application Dial Rule to put "91" in front of all other 10 digit numbers. If this is done, long distance calls from Montreal work fine from CUPC.

Someone in Vancouver:

The call to a 514 number from CUPC will fail because the Application Dial Rule will put the "9" in front of it. It needs "91".

What I am getting at is it seems Application Dial Rules can not work for all users because some calls are local for some and long distance for others depending on which location you are at and which gateway you are going out of. Since they are applied globally, they do not account for location.

Has anyone been able to work around this? What do you do in your environments?

I hope the above is somewhat clear

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to put 91 in from of 514 just like every other area code, as application dial rules are global, then you control this from CUCM.  So, you would have a route pattern for Montreal phones such as 91.514XXXXXXX that strips PreDot and prefixes 9, this way Montreal local calls will go out as 10 digits yet everyone else will dial it as 11 digits.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to put 91 in from of 514 just like every other area code, as application dial rules are global, then you control this from CUCM.  So, you would have a route pattern for Montreal phones such as 91.514XXXXXXX that strips PreDot and prefixes 9, this way Montreal local calls will go out as 10 digits yet everyone else will dial it as 11 digits.

HTH,

Chris

Chris,

That's excellent, thanks for the help. This is what I was looking for.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: