Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11n authentications problems

mbrsantos
Level 1
Level 1

I there.

In my work place the network equipment only supurts protocols up 802.11g, and lately we´ve been experiencing problems from some users with laptops that seem to support only 802.11n, these users don´t seem to be able to acces the network.

We use Microsoft Active Directory to authenticate our users so we usually configure our clients with WPA-Enterprise TKIP, and this works fine for 802.11g users.

Does anyone has any ideia why we are having this problems with 802.11n ?? Is it some problem with our equipment or is this problem only on the users side??

Sorry for the bad english i hope that i was able to make myself clear.

Thanks

Miguel Santos

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Miguel,

Can you give us more info.. maybe post some logs.  There should be no issue with devices having 802.11n cards at all since it is backward compatible.  Have you verified the configuration on the clients at least and made sure they are configured correctly and that its not user error or the users are connecting to the wrong ssid?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I there. Thanks a lot for the reply.

I´m sorry i don´t really have any kind of logs that i can post. I find this problems really  awkward since it should be backward compatible but i can only associate this connection problems with this, since it´s the really difference from other wireless cards that are used here. This only happens with certain wireless cards and in certain computers.

In the meanwhile i´ve found that in some cases updates the wireless cards drivers seems to solve the problems but in some other cases i haven´t found any solution.

Thanks once again.

Miguel,

You did troubleshoot correctly... its usually an issue with the wireless drivers if you know for sure your cnfiguration is correct.  If you do find a certain card that doesn't work and updating the driver isn't a fix, well hopefull these are external wireless cards and you can just replace them with one that you know that works. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card