cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions of Network Infrastructure Design.

wcpon_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm facing problem to design my network infrastructure.

Wish to get some expert advice from here.

I have 2 BGP routers in my network, the models Cisco 7200

I named it as BGP 1 & BGP 2,

Please find the my current network design,

BGP 1          BGP 2

|                    |

2960G

|

|

normal switch

|                          |

Firewall----HA ----Firewall

|      |              

Connected to 2 x 2960

I found that there is a problem in the network design...

I am planning to purchase Core Switch to replace the 1841 & normal switch....

The core switch model either 3750 or 3560.

Can anyone advice, if I want to place the Core Switch in the network, where is the Core Switch should apply to?

Hope to get some expert advice soon.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

rettuc_ccnp
Level 1
Level 1

using some assumptions based on your drawing I'd suggest the following...  If BGP1/2 are your edge routers, then the spot where your 2960G sits should be were the Core device is located, the 1841 is your aggregation/distribution, the "normal switch" and below are your access layer.  My suggestion is basically the campus design...  if you check out a few Cisco documents regarding the campus design I think you'll begin to make sense out of what you want to do here.  Hope this helps!  Have fun...

Hi rettuc_ccnp,

Thanks for your advice.

Just to clarify my understand from your advice.

Is it look like this?

BGP 1          BGP 2

|                    |

Core Device

|

|

normal switch

|                          |

Firewall----HA ----Firewall

|      |             

Connected to 2 x 2960

Can I ask you, can I remove 1841 and normal switch? and using the Core Device connect to Firewall?

Besides that, do you mind to share with me the Cisco documents regarding the campus design??

Thanks.

WP,

Yes your understanding of my suggestion is accurate... 

If you're looking for a truly hieachical and scalable design your topology should stay aligned with your layout above and you shouldn't remove any devices or connect any firewalls or access devices into the Cores. 

To locate the Cisco documentation just do a google search for "Cisco Campus Network design"... 

Sticking with your latest diagram and keep your growth aligned accordingly will really pay off as time goes on...

Have fun!

forgot one other thing...   Regarding your 1841 ISR.  I would replace it with a device with a device that is more suitable for the aggregation/distribution layer (i.e. more port density) and depending on your overall network requirements in addition to the expected/potential growth I'd move the ISR to the access or edge layer.  And again putting something else in it's place between the "Core Device" and "normal switch"...

Hi, thanks for your advice...

Just to check with you..

If do not have the aggregration/distribution layer... means I remove the 1841 and using Core Switch act as router...

Is it possible?? Because Core Switch is L3, it is able to perform router features...

So I'm thinking use Core Switch replace it for router 1841....

I'm looking for scalable network for my future network....

Really appreciate for your expert advice..

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card