Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS image upgrade

paultim68
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guyz

I wanna upload ios image of 36mb on a 2801 but I get error not available space. The router already has ios image of 40mb and availabe space is around 15mb. Anyone can help how to delete existing image and upload the new image

cheers

Paul

7 Replies 7

Vivek Ganapathi
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Paul,

You can delete the existing IOS by issuing the command

delete /force /recursive flash:

or

delete flash:

Thanks

Vivek

Hello Vivek

on deleting the current ios do the router moves to rom mode or it will allow uploding another image and boot from it

deleting the current ios means no IOS on the router

cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

the current IOS is already loaded, so the router will keep on working.

If you delete the current image, and then reload the router, then it will go to ROMMON.

You may delete the current image, load the new one, then reload the router. It will boot up with the new image.

In alternative (if you don't want to risk ending in ROMMON), you can configure the router to load the image at boot up via TFTP.

Hope this helps

Marco

No it would not get into rommon mode. The only issue with this method is, incase if a power loss happens, then there is no image available on the box (which in turn enters into the rommon). But if you are sure enough that under any circumstances there would not be a power loss, then you can delete the running IOS from the flash.

Below are the things to ensure :

1) Once you have deleted the running IOS, make sure, you load the newer IOS onto it.

2) Then have the boot statements & config-register set appropriately.

Again, you won't get into ROMMON as the image has already loaded into the memory, it continues from there. But make sure you don't reload it after deleting

Vivek

Hi Hi Paul,

As said above, Router will not go to romon mode even you delete the existing IOS untill you reload.
I was in the same position when I was upgrading the router 2801 at one of my customer place and the router dont have enough memory to place both old and new IOS images.
So This is what I did and you can follow........

1. Connected the router through console.
2. Deleted the existing IOS
3. Loaded the new IOS image
3. Pointed the new IOS image to boot "boot system flash c2801-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T4.bin"
4. saved the config "write mem"
5. reload the router and its loaded with new IOS image.

One more thing you need to make sure before reloading is that the Configuration register as 0x2102

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I wanna upload ios image of 36mb on a 2801 but I get error not available space.

Go to your favorite electronics store and get a 2Gb CF.  Insert the CF into yoru router and see if your router recognizes it.  If it does, format the CF using your router and copy the IOS across.

Outlawseven
Level 1
Level 1

As Marco said

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card