Views
Helpful
Replies

Reboot a device from another?

davemac2626
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Is there any command or tcl script that anyone knows of that will enable you to reboot a switch or router from another one?

Like you would reboot a pc using shutdown -i in windows.....

Many thanks

Dave

7 Replies 7

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

There are two easy means to do it.

If SSH is configured on the target switch/router, you can issue a remote command like this:

ssh x.x.x.x "reload"

If you configure SNMP write access and "snmp-server system-shutdown" on the target, you can also reload the unit with snmpset:

snmpset x.x.x.x community .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.9.9.0 i 2

Replace community with whatever community you've set for write on your router/switch. If you're using SNMPv3, you'll have to alter the snmpset parameters to account for this.

The latter method won't work from a router, but will allow you to do remote reloads from computer.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

That all depends on how you see it.

are you asking if you via remote access can telnet or ssh to a server and shut it down ?

yes that is possible.

if you can choose then use SSH.

are you asking if you can write a script that remotely will telnet or ssh to a server ?

yes i think that is possible.

it should be able to do just that, but i have never tested it.

are you asking if you can write a script that will respond to something you do to the router/switch to make it respond with a reload ? yes that is absolutely possible.

fx you can use hits on an access-list to trigger a eem who can issue commands.

are you asking if you can add hardware to a router to reset it ?

yes that is possible.

there are serial links or routers or modems with serial interfaces that can be used to connect to a router/switch serial ports so that you can use the cli.

Good luck

HTH

I've got most of my remote devices plugged into managed PDU's.  So you can log into a PDU and power cycle a device.  Just make sure the PDU management interface isn't plugged into the device you're killing power to or you could be in a worse place.

I also prefer to have my devices connected ethernet power bricks that I can control via script or simply log into its web interface to control power to a particular device.  LIke mentioned in the previous post if you're using the on/off outlet controls make sure you don't turn off power and shut down your access.  For that reason I prefer to always use the "cycle" power buttons because the power is automatically re-applied and the time out period expires, usually 3 seconds.

There are many products that do this but I've been happy with these and there very reasonbly priced.

http://www.digital-loggers.com/dli.products.html

It depends of operating system you are using

DAVID THORNTON
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I can successfully reload router using an snmpset with rw community string and

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.9.9.0 using integer 2

i would like to be able to CANCEL this via snmp also..... but i cant seem to get this to work

however the cisco docs i can see talk about 4 as cancelling it.

can alnyone comment or advise if they have been able to get this to work please?

thanks

dave

Ed Willson
Level 1
Level 1

David - Did any of the answers work for you?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: