Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM IP Address change

Limitless1801
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am working on moving one of my subscribers (7.1.3) to a remote office but I have a question before I proceed to change the IP address. Talking to a cisco partner, they recommended to create a new Vlan (e.g 192.168.30.0/24) onsite and make the IP change right there assigning a 192.168.30.X IP to the server. Once I was done, shut down the Vlan and move the server to the remote location. Turn on the Vlan (192.168.30.0/24) at the new location and adjust it accordingly. Everything should be able to work with no problems. Let me mention that Phones and GWs will be in a different Vlan

They stated that if I needed to move the server to another location in the future I just had to turn off the vlan, move the server and turn it back on in the new building and everything should be good to go.

I would like to hear some suggestion because based on Cisco documentation, you should have your CCM, Phones and GWs in the same Vlan preferably.

Thanks RG

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't like this idea as you are basically building a subnet you will not be able to summarize on your WAN links.  I like IP addressing approach where all IPs are consistent across your LANs, for example if siteA uses 10.1.0.0/16 and site B uses 10.2.0.0/16, then I can break them down such that my individual VLANs are 10.1.1.0/24, 10.1.2.0/24, etc and easily summarize my routes as 10.1.0.0/24 site A.  Whoever is proposing this to you has probably very limited R&S experience and absolutely no understanding of efficient routing.

See the following doc for instructions on changing IP address on CUCM:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_6_1/ipchange/ipchg861.html

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to know what is that people are doing out there. I am a bit concernced about my Cisco partner because this is not the first time they had done some dumb stuff. I think it is time for me to shop around...

RG-

Perhaps to look for other more reliable partner.  There is plenty of good partners out there.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris