Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM IP Address change

Limitless1801
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am working on moving one of my subscribers (7.1.3) to a remote office but I have a question before I proceed to change the IP address. Talking to a cisco partner, they recommended to create a new Vlan (e.g 192.168.30.0/24) onsite and make the IP change right there assigning a 192.168.30.X IP to the server. Once I was done, shut down the Vlan and move the server to the remote location. Turn on the Vlan (192.168.30.0/24) at the new location and adjust it accordingly. Everything should be able to work with no problems. Let me mention that Phones and GWs will be in a different Vlan

They stated that if I needed to move the server to another location in the future I just had to turn off the vlan, move the server and turn it back on in the new building and everything should be good to go.

I would like to hear some suggestion because based on Cisco documentation, you should have your CCM, Phones and GWs in the same Vlan preferably.

Thanks RG

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't like this idea as you are basically building a subnet you will not be able to summarize on your WAN links.  I like IP addressing approach where all IPs are consistent across your LANs, for example if siteA uses 10.1.0.0/16 and site B uses 10.2.0.0/16, then I can break them down such that my individual VLANs are 10.1.1.0/24, 10.1.2.0/24, etc and easily summarize my routes as 10.1.0.0/24 site A.  Whoever is proposing this to you has probably very limited R&S experience and absolutely no understanding of efficient routing.

See the following doc for instructions on changing IP address on CUCM:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_6_1/ipchange/ipchg861.html

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to know what is that people are doing out there. I am a bit concernced about my Cisco partner because this is not the first time they had done some dumb stuff. I think it is time for me to shop around...

RG-

Perhaps to look for other more reliable partner.  There is plenty of good partners out there.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: