cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6921/6941 Factory Reset

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

How do you perform a factory reset of a 6921/6941 handset ? According to the docs (For Example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/6921_6941_6961/8_5/english/admin_guide/6921trb.html#wp1031705 ) you just do the same as the 79xx series phones (Hold # at power up, etc)

However, on the 6921s & 6941s I've tried so far, this doesn't do it. All that happens, is that the phone stops booting, and just sits there showing the Cisco power-on logo. If you release # and type 1234..... The phone just boots as normal.

And suggestions ?

Thanks,

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.
15 Replies 15

anchoudh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/6921_6941_6961/firmware/9_1_1/english/release/notes/6921_911.html

Step 1 While powering up the phone, press and hold #.

Step 2 When  the light on the mute button and handset light strip turns off and all  other lights (line button, headset button, speakerphone button and  select button) stay green, press 123456789*0# in sequence.

When you press 1, the lights on the line buttons turn red. The light on the select button flash when a button is pressed.

If you press the buttons out of sequence, the lights on the line button,  headset button, speakerphone button, and select button turn green. You  will need to start over and press 123456789*0# in sequence again.

After you press these buttons, the phone goes through the factory reset process.

Do not power down the phone until it completes the factory reset process, and the main screen appears.

Thanks,

Anand

If you read the second paragraph of my question, you'll note that this DOES NOT WORK !!!

GTG

Which firmware version are you running?

It's quite possible that cisco have "forgot" to implement and/or test that.

SCCP 9.2.1

GTG

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HI Gordon,

This process is described a tad differently in this "older" doc, maybe worth a try;

Performing a Factory Reset

When you perform a factory reset of the Cisco Unified IP Phone, the following information is erased or reset to its default value:

User configuration settings—Reset to default values

Network configuration settings—Reset to default values

Call histories—Erased

Locale information—Reset to default values

Phone application—Erased (phone recovers by using the image in the inactive partition of flash to boot up).

Before you perform a factory reset, ensure that the following conditions are met:

The phone must be on a DHCP-enabled network.

A valid TFTP server must be set in DHCP option 150 or option 66 on the DHCP server.

To perform a factory reset of a phone, perform the following steps:

Procedure

Step 1 Unplug the power cable from the phone and then plug it back in.

The phone begins its power-up cycle.

Step 2 While the phone is powering up, and before the Speaker button flashes on and off,

press and hold #.

Continue to hold # until each line button flashes on and off in sequence in amber.

Step 3 Release # and press 123456789*0#.

You can press a key twice in a row, but if you press the keys out of sequence, the factory reset will not take place.

After you press these keys, the line buttons on the phone flash red, and the phone goes through the factory reset process.

Do not power down the phone until it completes the factory reset process, and the main screen appears.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/6921_6941_6961/7_1_2/english/admin/guide/6921trb.html#wp1031705

Cheers!

Rob

How's this different to the 79xx procedure ?

GTG

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From the doc you linked;

Step 2 When the light on the mute button and handset light strip turns off and all other lights (line button, headset button, speakerphone button and select button) stay green, press 123456789*0# in sequence.

When you press 1, the lights on the line buttons turn red. The light on the select button flash when a button is pressed.

If you press the buttons out of sequence, the lights on the line button, headset button, speakerphone button, and select button turn green. You will need to start over and press 123456789*0# in sequence again.

After you press these buttons, the phone goes through the factory reset process.

From the doc I linked;

To perform a factory reset of a phone, perform the following steps:

#

Procedure

#

#

#

Step 2 While the phone is powering up, and before the Speaker button flashes on and off,

#

press and hold #.

#

Continue to hold # until each line button flashes on and off in sequence in amber.

#

Step 3 Release # and press 123456789*0#.

#

You can press a key twice in a row, but if you press the keys out of sequence, the factory reset will not take place.

#

After you press these keys, the line buttons on the phone flash red, and the phone goes through the factory reset process.

#

They look different to me

Cheers!

Rob

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

I've done some testing with a 6921.

When the phone has SCCP firmware 9.0.2.0, 9.2.1 & 9.2.2.6 I do the following:

Unplug PoE Network cable.

Press and hold "#".

Connect PoE network cable.

Immediately, Line 1, Line 2, Headset, Speaker & Menu Select buttons all light green, and display shows Cisco logo. (No backlight)

Phone just sits there. (I waited about a minute or so)

Release the "#" and nothing happens.

Press "1", and Line 1&2 keys go red, Menu Select, Headset & Speaker keys go out.

Continue typing the rest of the string, and the phone boots normally.

A friend has some 69xx phones with 8.5.1.66.22 firmware (which doesn't even exist on CCO) and he says that the process works fine for him.

I've tried downgrading my phone to 8.5.4  & 8.5.3, to see if it's a bug/feature in the 9.x release train, but the phone won't accept the firmware.

GTG

Hi Gordon,

Have you found a way to factory reset those 6921? I am having the same issue with firmware 9.1.1.5

Cheers,

Boris

_____ Please rate helpful posts Пожалуйста оценивайте полезные сообщения

I had a long discussion with TAC over this. The problem is the definition of "Factory Reset" varies by phone model.

For the 79xx series phones, factory reset forces the phone to re-image it's firmware from TFTP.

For the 69xx series (and I suspect the 89xx/99xx series too), factory reset just resets it's settings. It does not re-image the device.

My suspicion, is that this is because the 79xx series phones only have one firmware image in memory, whereas the 69xx, 89xx & 99xx series phones have two firmware images in memory.

GTG

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Ok, that's clear now. How about the "factory reset" process? In my experience line buttons to not flash amber in sequence. How do you know that the reset actually happened?

My story is that I have a bunch of phones removed from CUCM 8.6, which had settings access set to "restricted" for those phones. Therefore I can't access "settings reset" menu via phone menu. "Factory reset" do not enable access to this menu as well or I am not executing this reset procedure properly.

I could reset the phone settings mode by registering them to CME.

Cheers,

Boris

_____ Please rate helpful posts Пожалуйста оценивайте полезные сообщения

The line button status isn't quite the same as the 79xx. The details I was given by TAC are:

Step 2 When the light on the mute button and handset light strip turns off and all other lights (line button, headset button, speakerphone button and select button) stay green, press 123456789*0# in sequence.

If you press the buttons out of sequence, the lights on the line button, headset button, speakerphone button, and select button turn green. You will need to start over and press 123456789*0# in sequence again.

GTG

Zackary.Smathers reply works on a 6921, I just did it

Thanks,

Cec

Gordon I was able to do the factory reset on the 6921 by:

#

#

#

press and hold #.

#

#

Step 3 Release # and press

#

#

#

press and hold #.

#

#

Step 3 Release # and press 1 then press 123456789*0#.

Good Luck,

Zack

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: