Multicast within MPLS Hub & Spoke

Unanswered Question
Mar 6th, 2012

We are attempting to enable multicast within our Hub and Spoke MPLS network!!!

:

Since this is a Hub and Spoke environment, we have 2 VRFs per Hub, I.E. Ingress VRF and Egress VRF.

We have 2 Hubs and about 300 Spokes.

:

Some remote PEs peer with 2 different CE spokes and the 2 spokes must exist in different VRFs (it just sucks that the same PE terminates these spokes but this is how it is).

:

I have enabled MDT default group under the 1st VRF but when I attempt to enable the same MDT default group under the 2nd VRF I receive the following error:

PE3(config)#vrf definition REG3

PE3(config-vrf)#address-family ipv4   

PE3(config-vrf-af)#mdt default 239.232.0.0 

PE3(config-vrf-af)#

PE3(config)#vrf definition REG4

PE3(config-vrf)#address-family ipv4   

PE3(config-vrf-af)#mdt default 239.232.0.0

% MDT-default group 239.232.0.0 overlaps with vrf REG3

PE3(config-vrf-af)#

Here is the VRF config-let for PE3:

vrf definition REG3

description WAN3 to WAN1 & WAN2 [Hub & Spoke]

rd 30:1020

!

address-family ipv4  

import map WAN2  

mdt default 239.232.0.0  

route-target export 30:30  

route-target import 10:10  

route-target import 20:20

exit-address-family

!

address-family ipv6 

import map WAN2V6  

route-target export 30:30

exit-address-family

!

vrf definition REG4

description WAN4 to WAN1 & WAN2 [Hub & Spoke]

rd 40:1020

!

address-family ipv4

import map WAN1

route-target export 40:40

exit-address-family

!

address-family ipv6

import map WAN1V6

route-target export 40:40

exit-address-family

QUESTIONS:

Bearing in mind that ALL traffic between spokes MUST pass through a primary HUB for security purposes

1. Since some spokes (DS3 or larger link) will source multicast traffic for Video Teleconference (VTC) is there a special configuration I need on the Spokes  .  .  .   Meaning should I have multiple GRE Multipoint tunnels within between PEs via multiple MDT groups?

2. Is there a special configuration I need for the HUBs for Ingress VRFs verses Egress VRFs?

BTW, multicast traffic does flow to spoke VRF REG3 ---  through the MPLS cloud -- from the Hub.

Thanks for any assistance!!

Regards Frank 

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
fsebera Wed, 03/07/2012 - 11:39

Ok, I waited and waited and waited and waited some more . . . all the while researching anything that was closely related to multicast in a hub and spoke environment - I only found my own questions I posted here earlier!

:

Long story short, I figured it out (I should get 5 stars!!!!!)

Thanks for at least looking.

Before you pull all your hair out, reply here if you need assistance as I can provide what I know!!!

All the Best

Frank

kishore.chennupati Sat, 03/10/2012 - 04:31

H Frank,

Glad to hear that you solved the problem yourself. Sometimes, ppl here get so busy that its hard for them to come on CSC. I am sure you understand that yourself.

Please post the solution here so that everyone can benefit from it. I will give you the 5+ stars you deserve in green

Regards, Kishore

fsebera Thu, 03/15/2012 - 11:30

Hey Kishore,

Yea I understand folks are busy - always.

You being and MPLS hub and spoke engineer, you probably already know all this stuff - I am VERY new to MPLS; just learned the basics two months ago.

:

Anyway, long story short, could you tell me how many VRF's are required per PE-CE peering session for a redundant multicast enabled MPLS hub and spoke environment?

:

Meaning, if I am the customer (CE) and only have a single router per site and a single interface per router and I want my CE sites to have multicast logical failover, is there something special I need to do to make this happen?

:

Thanks so much!!

Frank

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted March 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Stats:
Replies:3 Avg. Rating:
Views:585 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.