cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3500XL Fiber Ports

jwood1650
Level 1
Level 1

I have an old Cisco 3500XL I am using for my home lab, but was wondering can I use the fiber ports to connect to my PC.  I have to correct NIC interfaces but no link indication.  I did make sure the port was no down, but sill not link....

Any idea???  Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Jason Dance
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried switching the fiber strands so they cross over?

-Jason

No, but I will now...thanks

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
but was wondering can I use the fiber ports to connect to my PC.  I have to correct NIC interfaces but no link indication.

Your PC has a fibre optic port?  What speed?

gig port from the PC

gig port from the PC

What media type does the PC NIC card support?  Copper or fibre optic?

Fiber, I have the fiber cable installed, but still nothing...not connecting to the switch.  Is there some configuration I need to do on the switch?

Hi Jonathan ,

Because is a 2 pair fiber - correct me if I'm wrong - I would try to revert on one side the RX with TX ( left with the right ) connectors.

Dan

Are you using the correct optic on the switch?

if the PC NIC is Multimode, the GBIC on the switch (which is SC type) must also be Multimode. If the PC is Multimode and the GBIC on the switch is Single-mode, you will not get a link light.

Also, are you  using the correct fiber patch cord?  Usually Multimode cable is orange and single-mode is yellow.

Also, are you sure that the PC's NIC is Gig? It may be 100.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: