Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiwan router with NAT

Julien Paleni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution in order to connect some adsl connections. I know the Rv016 router which permits to connect up to 7 wan link but i need more, about 10-12 adsl connections. I need to increase my download bandwidth for my lan.

I need the same solution like here but with 10-12 ISP connections: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080950834.shtml

I heard about a solution using a switch with vlans and a router behind it, like on the attachment but i don't know how configure this.

My adsl connections are using pppoe authentication and they all have public static ip so i can make the pppoe authentication in the modems or in the router.

My idea is to set-up the modems in bridge mode with no authentication. In the switch, i assign a vlan per wan link and a trunk port between the swicth and the router. In the router, i deal with the pppoe authentication, i assume the NAT and the load balancing by using one route per wan link.

Do you think that this solution can work?

Is anyone can submit an other configuration?

Thanks for your help,

Kind regards

4 Replies 4

patrick.preuss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Julien

the Link is for the IOS Boxes (Cisco 800, 1800, 1900 and up).

The Solution depends on you budget, your Bandwidth, traffic distribution, your traffic and its needs and other Factors.

You will only scale with this on the total bandwith but not on the Bandwidth per session.

MayBe it is better to as your provider to give you a SDSL / VDSL / T3 / STM3 / Ethernet Link.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I know that i need an IOS boxes like a 800 series or more.

The last month, the download amount was of 1 TeraBytes so about 30 GigaBytes per day.

In my lan there are a captive portal and more than 100 access point for providing wifi access. Today, with only 6 adsl connections, the bandwidth is too small.

Where the installation is located, i can only have Adsl or Sdsl connections, vdsl, T3.... aren't available.

I don't need Sdsl because i don't need an important upload, i really need some download bandwidth.

After some reflexions, it's maybe more easier to do the pppoe authentication in the modems and in the router, i only have to do static routes with my public ip address.

--

Julien

Hi Julien

yes i aggree pppoe on the modems would be a good solution. this will offload this task to the Modems.

One Point is when you have so much links that you most likely share the bandwidth at some point, so that more links not brings more bandwidth.

A 800 can not handel the traffic load they are designed for round about 50 mbit/s

you might want to have a look here http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

next point is router can have only a limited amout of parallel routes the take into account for loadbalancing.

if possible try also to cache some of the traffic. (proxys can do here a great work).

Symetric lines can also have a positiv effect on the traffic, the answer latency can be lower.

I am a little suprised that you can not get a higher line rate at you site, telcos do usualy anything for money, or maybe a vsat link is an option, or some kind of RF (Wireless) is  a soulution, we operate with 400Mbit/s over 40 km.

But in any case it all depends on your budget and your traffic needs.

HTH Cheers

Patrick

Message was edited by: Patrick Marc Preuss

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your advice, i will read your document for choosing an appropriate router.

My captive portal already have a proxy (squid).

It's true for symetric lines and the latency but it's seems to me that i can't mix adsl and sdsl on the same router. With the load-balancing and the NAT, i have to make a choice: full adsl or full sdsl, do you confirm?

For the location, i'm in France, the installation is in a ski resort, so it's difficult to have higher line rate.

Cheers

--

Julien

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: