Views
Helpful
Replies

CCA does not want names with an apostrophe on local directory

Arturo Bianchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello CCA Team,

I noticed that I can put names with the apostrophe from the CUE web interface, the system and the phones do not have problems dealing with these names, but then there are problems with CCA! It don't allows to change the local directory list and indicates that these characters are not allowed!!! It is a bug/limit of CCA???

telephony-service

directory entry 1 0555555 name  Name Don'Tlike

Arturo.

4 Replies 4

Hi Arturo,

This is not limit of the CCA. It is limited by the CME. In fact you can do it in CLI but you will crash your web interface and CCA is preventing you from problems.

Citation from the CME Admin Guide

p.1057 (December 7, 2011):

Entry for local directory cannot include opening or closing quotation marks (‘, ‘, “, or ”)

p.1058 (December 7, 2011):

"name—1 to 24 alphanumeric characters, including spaces. Name cannot include opening or closing quotation marks (‘, ’ , “, or ”)"

Best regards,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts

Alexander Maroukian ha scritto:

In fact you can do it in CLI but you will crash your web interface and CCA is preventing you from problems.

Hi Alexander,

strange... I can insert this name directly by web interface, I noticed that the phone handles them properly and I was surprised when I got blocked on CCA! I have no doubt of what is written on the documentation, but apparently things are so... I use italian names with an apostrophe by phone, by web, by CLI but not by CCA. Ok, in some cases the apostrophe may cause some extra trouble (I have not tried what happens when the AA allows you to type the name) but I would not go to tell it to people who have the name with the apostrophe :-)

Arturo.

Hello Arturo,

Thank you for the poor rating!

In the next link you can see what these characters can cause:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_tech_note09186a0080aff515.shtml#error4

I can confirm that it is not always 100% that they will break you system it depends on how you use them. But you cannot enter names with apostrophe into CUE web GUI also. I hope this will be possible in future versions but it depends on technology and CME and CUE development also. Some more global technologies like domain names still do not have overcome this problem, I do not know how the people who need apostrophe in it are solving this issue :).

It is written in the official documents and not only in the one of the CCA, but in CME also. You are asking why something that is written as not permitted in CME is not permitted in CCA.

Anyway you can always enter name using CME GUI and CLI if you need it desperately but you should be aware that it can cause some issues.

Best regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the poor rating!

It was a reflex of the asked to rate and a partial relevance to the problem identified! Sorry, if you feel that it was not appropriate.

In the next link you can see what these characters can cause:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_tech_note09186a0080aff515.shtml#error4

I'll try to learn, but perhaps also depends on the version used!

It is written in the official documents and not only in the one of the CCA, but in CME also. You are asking why something that is written as not permitted in CME is not permitted in CCA.

Anyway you can always enter name using CME GUI and CLI if you need it desperately but you should be aware that it can cause some issues.

Already, in fact I have come to doubt of where I was able to enter the name with an apostrophe ... I did a check and I can confirm that this is possible with "Office Manager" and I can confirm you that in spite of what is written on the documentation, works well on phones and on the CLI!!! The only problem I viewed with CCA.

Anyway the point is this, is that people expect to be able to write their name as well as while you write it seems to be CCA is not possible (not with the apostrophe, not with two names separated by spaces), I have found interesting and highlight the issue, since seems to me so!

Best regards,
Arturo.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: