cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 router port forwarding questions

chuckmpw1
Level 1
Level 1

I am a newbee.  I am trying to access a device behind my firewall that needs to use port 9000.  I have completed the single port forwarding  page with the exterior and internal port but I cannot access the device from outside the firewall.   Yes I did check the "enabled" box

What am I missing here?  Any help will be appreciated

8 Replies 8

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for posting. To access your DVR remotely you need to also forward port 80. For mobile access, check the User Guide. A common mobile access port is 18004.

Please reply if you need any further assistance.

It is not my DVR.   would it be the same anyway?

Chuck,

Port 9000 is commonly forwarded as a media port for a surveillance system. To reach the web interface of the device you also need to forward port 80. Port 80 loads the web page and 9000 allows the video to stream to the web page. Usually the User Guide for a device will show what ports need to be forwarded for any given type of remote access. What type of device are you trying to forward to?

It is a buffalo hard drive

Buffalo tech support says it has to be 9000.  They did not say anything about 80 or any other port.

Chuck,

I did a quick check online and it appears that you are correct, only 9000 for the Buffalo. Do you have another router or router/modem between you and the internet? Check your WAN IP by going to ipchicken.com. You should see the same IP address on the WAN status page of the RVS4000. If not you may need to forward the port from the other router to the RVS4000 first.

Chuck,

Make sure that the Default Gateway of the Buffalo points to the LAN IP address of the router as well. If you put a static IP on the Buffalo (You should) then the Gateway needs to point to the router or the device will not have access to the internet.

I will check it out.  thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: