Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Information - Configuration Revision

Hi all,

I have a couple questions about VTP.

I have 2 switches that act as core (3560G-48PS) switches and VTP server, and in the plane including a pair of

Normal VTP clients as access switches. The core switches are now to be replaced. The new switches (VTP server),

do have exactly the same configuration of the existing switches .

My questions are:

- Where the VTP information is stored...in the vlan.dat ?

- What happens if the new switches can be booted with the original configuration and the configuration revision number 0 as a VTP server?

- Are the new switches VTP server then? Since the clients have even higher configuration revison?

- Can I improve or modify the configuration revision number?

Thanks in advance for your help;)!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I still have two questions:

- It should also be possible to the copy vlan.dat, and transferred to the new switches, right?

Don't do it. The described method is much more reliable.

- What if a client has a higher configuration revision number. Will it promote on the new VTP servers with config revision 0 its VLANs?

Yes it will.

regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

- Where the VTP information is stored...in the vlan.dat ?

Correct!

- What happens if the new switches can be booted with the original configuration and the configuration revision number 0 as a VTP server?

They will accept the config file from any box with a higher revision number.

- Are the new switches VTP server then? Since the clients have even higher configuration revison?

Server or client is a setting in vtp config. "server" is the default value.

- Can I improve or modify the configuration revision number?

Yes you can. Every time you exit vtp config mode, the revision number is increased.

However, the safest way to put your new boxes in the vtp domain is to simply add them to the network first and then configure the vtp domain. In this way, their initial config revision will be 0 and they will sync automatically with the domain because the actual number is higher than 0.

regards,

Leo

Hi Leo,

Thank you for your answer.

- It should also be possible to the copy vlan.dat, and transferred to the new switches, right?

- What if a client has a higher configuration revision number. Will it promote on the new VTP servers with config revision 0 its VLANs?

Thanks in advance for your help;)!

Don't do it. The described method is much more reliable.

Yes it will.

regards,

Leo

Thank you for your help, it helps alot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: