cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2960 IOS 12 or 15? (layer 3)

jamessmart747
Level 1
Level 1

Hi We have just had a cisco 2960 delivered wich is being used for its basic layer 3 functionality. I was wondering would I still beable to use this if I upgrade to version 15? I was also wondering what this version 15 is all about and if there are any big differences in the command set as ive onyl ever worked with the 12. revisions before?

Thanks

James

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Looking at the config guide for IOS 15.0.0
This was also the same on 12.2.58

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/15.0_1_se/configuration/guide/swipstatrout.html

Static routing is supported not dynamic.
Also only on SVI not port level

HTH
Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

Alex has summed it up nicely. Basically, Cisco appears to be consolidating its versioning of different IOSes, and as part of this consolidation, the IOS versions for Catalysts have been bumped from 12.2 to 15.0. However, the 12.2(58)SE and 15.0(1)SE are practically identical, save for a couple of new features and bugfixes (and perhaps a couple of new bugs being introduced ).

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Looking at the config guide for IOS 15.0.0
This was also the same on 12.2.58

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/15.0_1_se/configuration/guide/swipstatrout.html

Static routing is supported not dynamic.
Also only on SVI not port level

HTH
Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi James

As far as I know - the 2960 model is a pure layer 2 switch with one SVI (L3 vlan interface) which is used for management purposes.

Davy,

As surprising as it may seem, the inter-VLAN routing and static IP routing has been introduced to 2960 series Catalysts sometime after 12.2(52)SE. So having a fairly recent IOS, the 2960 do support basic inter-VLAN routing and static routing but no routing protocols.

Best regards,

Peter

Didn't know about this. Great! *rated*

As far as I know - the 2960 model is a pure layer 2 switch with one SVI (L3 vlan interface) which is used for management purposes.

Yes it does.  Starting from 12.2(55)SE3 (and later).

New Software Features

When you configure the new lanbase-routing  SDM template, the switch supports static routing and router ACLs on SVIs. ( Catalyst 2960, 2960-S, and 2975)

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

Alex has summed it up nicely. Basically, Cisco appears to be consolidating its versioning of different IOSes, and as part of this consolidation, the IOS versions for Catalysts have been bumped from 12.2 to 15.0. However, the 12.2(58)SE and 15.0(1)SE are practically identical, save for a couple of new features and bugfixes (and perhaps a couple of new bugs being introduced ).

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter that is basically what I wanted to know. I did not understand the jump from 12 to 15 and was thinking i may be a different config set, but this makes snese so thanks

jamessmart747
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys for the replys, I now have a better understanding of this new versioning.

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco