cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LDAP Corporate Directory lookup won't work on Win 2008 64-bit

Tim Schroeder
Level 4
Level 4

I just spent like 20 hours chasing this problem so I thought I'd post the solution here.

We host the IP Phone Corporate Directory on a Win 2003 web server and it works fine, but failed when we tried to move it to a Win 2008 server.

When the multidirectory.asp or localizeddirectory.asp script is run, it fails on this line:

var s = new ActiveXObject("LDAPSearch.LDAPSearchList");

If you try to access the service from a browser like this:  http://myserver/CiscoIPServices/ASP/localizeddirectory/localizeddirectory.asp you'll get an error something like this:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed

Location: http://myserver/CiscoIPServices/ASP/localizeddirectory/localizeddirectory.asp

Line Number 1, Column 26:

View the page source and you'll see something like this:

<font face="Arial" size=2>
<p>Microsoft JScript runtime </font> <font face="Arial" size=2>error '800a01ad'</font>
<p>
<font face="Arial" size=2>Automation server can't create object</font>
<p>
<font face="Arial" size=2>/CiscoIPServices/ASP/localizeddirectory/localizeddirectory.asp</font><font face="Arial" size=2>, line 51</font> 

If you configure IIS to send detailed error messages to the browser, disable user-friendly error messages on your browser, and change

Response.ContentType from "text/xml" to "text/html" in the ASP script, you'll see the REAL error:

Microsoft JScript runtime error '800a01ad'

Automation server can't create object

/CiscoIPServices/ASP/localizeddirectory/localizeddirectory.asp, line 51

Microsoft provides this, which is may be of help for some issues, but not this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q194801

This '800a01ad' error is discussed in quite a few other posts on this forum (search for LDAP COM, or COM ERROR, or LDAPSEARCH) but I could not find anything about win 2008.

In the end I discovered the problem is that the Cisco DLL (LDAPSearch.dll) is 32-bit but Win 2008 is running in 64-bit mode.  To fix it:

Run Server Manager

Navigate to IIS manager --> Application Pools --> DefaultAppPool

Edit Advanced Settings

Change "Enable 32-bit applications" to True

I hope this helps someone!

Regards,

Tim

5 Replies 5

Mike Lydick
Level 1
Level 1

Tim,

Same issue and your research and post saved me a good bit of time. Thank for sharing the fix.

Mike

DmytroSoloviov
Level 1
Level 1

timbo66, you're really great guy: you've saved my brain from explosion

Thanks a lot! You solution really works!

Nicolas MICHEL
Level 1
Level 1

Solved my issue too .... Yeah indeed this saved my brain from explosion :)

Thanks a lot.

Nicolas

ganpatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Mate ,

Thanks a lot for sharing , it did really help me a lot . Your solution really worked

carloszzz27
Level 1
Level 1
And old post that have saved me a lot of time..
Helpful!!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: