cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LDAP Corporate Directory lookup won't work on Win 2008 64-bit

Tim Schroeder
Level 4
Level 4

I just spent like 20 hours chasing this problem so I thought I'd post the solution here.

We host the IP Phone Corporate Directory on a Win 2003 web server and it works fine, but failed when we tried to move it to a Win 2008 server.

When the multidirectory.asp or localizeddirectory.asp script is run, it fails on this line:

var s = new ActiveXObject("LDAPSearch.LDAPSearchList");

If you try to access the service from a browser like this:  http://myserver/CiscoIPServices/ASP/localizeddirectory/localizeddirectory.asp you'll get an error something like this:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed

Location: http://myserver/CiscoIPServices/ASP/localizeddirectory/localizeddirectory.asp

Line Number 1, Column 26:

View the page source and you'll see something like this:

<font face="Arial" size=2>
<p>Microsoft JScript runtime </font> <font face="Arial" size=2>error '800a01ad'</font>
<p>
<font face="Arial" size=2>Automation server can't create object</font>
<p>
<font face="Arial" size=2>/CiscoIPServices/ASP/localizeddirectory/localizeddirectory.asp</font><font face="Arial" size=2>, line 51</font> 

If you configure IIS to send detailed error messages to the browser, disable user-friendly error messages on your browser, and change

Response.ContentType from "text/xml" to "text/html" in the ASP script, you'll see the REAL error:

Microsoft JScript runtime error '800a01ad'

Automation server can't create object

/CiscoIPServices/ASP/localizeddirectory/localizeddirectory.asp, line 51

Microsoft provides this, which is may be of help for some issues, but not this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q194801

This '800a01ad' error is discussed in quite a few other posts on this forum (search for LDAP COM, or COM ERROR, or LDAPSEARCH) but I could not find anything about win 2008.

In the end I discovered the problem is that the Cisco DLL (LDAPSearch.dll) is 32-bit but Win 2008 is running in 64-bit mode.  To fix it:

Run Server Manager

Navigate to IIS manager --> Application Pools --> DefaultAppPool

Edit Advanced Settings

Change "Enable 32-bit applications" to True

I hope this helps someone!

Regards,

Tim

5 Replies 5

Mike Lydick
Level 1
Level 1

Tim,

Same issue and your research and post saved me a good bit of time. Thank for sharing the fix.

Mike

DmytroSoloviov
Level 1
Level 1

timbo66, you're really great guy: you've saved my brain from explosion

Thanks a lot! You solution really works!

Nicolas MICHEL
Level 1
Level 1

Solved my issue too .... Yeah indeed this saved my brain from explosion :)

Thanks a lot.

Nicolas

ganpatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Mate ,

Thanks a lot for sharing , it did really help me a lot . Your solution really worked

carloszzz27
Level 1
Level 1
And old post that have saved me a lot of time..
Helpful!!