cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interrupting the boot process on an aironet 1242AG AP?

Matt.Dohan
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if there's a trick to this?

According to the documentation, I'm supposed to be hitting the Esc key when I see the Loading "flash:/[imagename]" ####### ... line, but this doesn't seem to be working.  I've tried hitting the Esc key a lot during those lines, holding it down, hitting it early, hitting it late, hitting it in the middle, and still no joy.  I'm wanting to hit it with something very heavy and hard about now, but I doubt that'll do anything but cause more problems.  Anyone know what I could be doing wrong here?

I'm trying to break into a handful of malfunctioning 1242AG APs to see if I can get them working, or if they're faulting hardware that's beyond repair.  (So far they're all coming back with: no "IP_ADDR" variable set, so if anyone knows how to set that without breaking out of the boot cycle, that would be helpful too.)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

Matt,

Press and hold MODE. Apply power and continue to hold for about 30 sec. The AP will try to find a TFTP server, but after failing, you should have a rommon-like prompt (if I am recalling correctly).

Justin

... typd on tny kybrd.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

Matt,

Press and hold MODE. Apply power and continue to hold for about 30 sec. The AP will try to find a TFTP server, but after failing, you should have a rommon-like prompt (if I am recalling correctly).

Justin

... typd on tny kybrd.

Beautiful!

button is pressed, wait for button to be released...

button pressed for 44 seconds

[...]

ap:

Matt,

Let us know if you are able to recover the units. Would be good info to have. Thanks for the *’s

Justin

One of them seems to have a hardware fault on the Ethernet port, but the other two look fine.  Not bad for a couple minutes of holding down the mode button.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card