siddiqirf
Level 1
Level 1
3 Replies 3

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This document might interest you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800a6f3a.shtml

Unless you are not seeing "%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of... falied ....... " error on your device, your switch is not actually running out of memory and it should be fine.

And for the misses which you see in buffers, please find the explanation:

·         On the buffer statistics, the misses identifies the number of times a buffer has

been requested and the processor detected that additional buffers are required(i.e. the

number of buffers in the free list and it dropped below "min"). The misses counter

represents the number of times the processor has been forced to create additional

buffers.

·         When there are no more buffers in the interface buffer free list, the device

goes to the public buffer pools as a fallback. Performance is not impacted in case of a

fallback.

·         Misses are part of the expected behavior of the device and the buffer counters

are cleared on reload

Unless you see buffer failures in the output, you can be sure that there are no issues affecting the switch.

Cheers,

Sweta

Please rate the answer and markthe question answered if you have got the response you were looking for.

Is 32% memory utilization normal then ? I am asking from a prespective of proactive performance improvement rather then reactive support.

Yeah. 32% is normal for 3560 platform. The range is around 25-45%. I have even seen cases where 70% memory utilization on 3560 was working fine.

Hope that answers your query.

Cheers

Sweta

P.S. Please rate helpful answers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card