cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using wild card / regular expressions for CUCM application dial-rules

Sarg .
Level 3
Level 3

Guys I have a few application dial-rules on CUCM that are working fine. But it can get really messy if i want to write a rule for every digit length that my users could be calling. Is there any I can user regular expression to for instance say the following:

• •-          that any number beginning with a digit (9) should not have any number prefixed to it.
  • •-          And that the number can of any length.

Cheers guys

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What are the rules your for?

Perhaps using called party transformations would be acceptable?

Chris

i am using them for click-to-call. i have some users who have already added 9  to the telephone numbers that they saved on their outlook contact. Some users do not have a 9 as prefix for the number they have saved so the dial rule works fine for them . but for those that already have 9 as prefix, they now have 99 attached to their numbers. As per called party transformation, i am not sure that wold work with application dial-rules cos th rule is only triggerd when users dial via SOAP . I fear that transformation may affect too many people. whatever i do, i just want it to kick-in when make calls via clicl-to-call

Or is there something i dont understand?

Hi

These rules are pretty basic and fall miles behind what Lync etc can do.

You are limited to providing lengths, but there should be minimal variation really. International standards (e164) dictates a max length of 15 digits. Hopefully you have a sensible domestic dial plan...

e.g. typically in the uK:

• 4 digit internal extension
  • 10 or 11 digit dialling to most locations starting 01/02/08 etc.
  • Then international would be starting 00 or + followed by max 15 digits. For this I usually add rules for lengths of 11-15 digits, with 00 or + as the leading numbers.

Re: double-9s, you can specify 'starts with' to avoid adding 9s where 9 exists.

At the end of the day the rules aren't clever enough (i.e. no regular expressions etc) to be able to 'fix' all numbers that people might come up with. Personally I take the option of educating people that they should not prefix 9, and should use either normal domestic dialling format or +e164 format in their address books. With that configuration their address books will still be useful if synced to their mobile devices.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Right now there seems to be so much talk about Lync. I wonder what the future holds. Some Cisco people are even panicking over recent developments